We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

suggestions! short trip!

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
suggestions! short trip!

hello!

Just booked flight to geneva! super excited! it will be my first time and i will be there for two days and one night. Hotel has been booked as well car being rented so that we can go to yvoire, montreux etc.

But still would like some advice on what to see in geneva? what are some good breakfast places/dinner and etc?

Thank you!

Pune, India
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
1. Re: suggestions! short trip!

Hi Reema07,

Here is an excellent 2-day itinerary ( article by another TA member ) for Geneva sights - it helped me in my visit there -

tripadvisor.in/Travel-g188057-c127289/Geneva…

Depending on your likes,if you cover the city in one day you could visit the quaint capital - Bern - on another day trip.

In case you have not yet rented any car i would suggest dropping the idea - Switzerland has a great transport system - good connectivity / frequency and the panorama unfolds best from a train window.

Have fun.

arvind

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 132
2. Re: suggestions! short trip!

With only two days and Geneva to see as well as Montreux I think it will be hard to squeeze in Yvoire. And Arvind is right - take the trains and don't rent a car. If you aren't used to driving here things could be difficult and Geneva is a nightmare to drive in anyway... loads of one way streets and many streets where cars are not allowed.

Spend your first day seeing Geneva. And then take a train to Vevey. Walk around the lovely old town and hope on a boat to Chillon. (You will sail past Montreux). Get off, visit the Château - allow 2hrs and get an audioguide when you pay for your entrance ticket. then take the local bus back to Montreux - cross the street in front of the Château and you will see the bus stop. Then walk around Montreux, see the lakefront promenade etc. IF you have time and IF the weather is good it would be fun to take the cograil train up to the Rochers de Naye. There is a great view from there down onto the lake, the Lavaux vineyards and across to the start of the French Alps as well as to part of the Valais alps.

Trains run from Geneva to Montreux every 30mins or so, no need to change. And much of the route is along the lake... and this is extremely pretty.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 364
3. Re: suggestions! short trip!

All the details regarding (most of) the Swiss public transports can be found on:

http://www.sbb.ch/en

Breakfasts: other than for Sunday's brunches, there are not many places in Geneva.

Dinner: what kind of food and style are you looking for?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
4. Re: suggestions! short trip!

Breakfasts here tend to be either hotel buffets or a croissant and a coffee in any café. We don't (thank goodness) have the "power breakfast" scene that they have in New York... lunch is far more important for us. In fact for most Swiss it is the main meal of the day. And there are oodles of good places to eat lunch in Geneva.

Pune, India
reviews: 281
5. Re: suggestions! short trip!

I plan to be in Geneva on a weekend in May or June. I will fly in around noon on a Saturday and leave early in the morning on a Sunday. Can you suggest a good itinerary? I want to take it easy and do not want a hectic schedule. Please guide.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
6. Re: suggestions! short trip!

First, here is a link to information and a suggested tour around Geneva:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

If you want to do any shopping, plan to do this on the Saturday as shops are shut all over the country on Sundays, except for those at the stations and the airports and at large petrol stations. So you are not going to have a lot of time for sightseeing. I would suggest you do whatever shopping you want first on the Sat afternoon, then follow the suggestions for the walking tour of the old town, perhaps ending up for dinner either at les Armures in the old town OR at the Cave Valaisanne on the Blvd Georges Favon which is not too far away.

Sadly you will not have time to go to Yvoire.

reviews: 4
7. Re: suggestions! short trip!

Honestly anything that's vegetarian!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
8. Re: suggestions! short trip!

Vegetarian has (apparently, I am not one..) many varieties. If you eat cheese then the two restaurants I mentioned are perfect for you since their specialities are fondue and raclette. If you don't then look for a pizzeria as a pizzeraria will have pasta with or without sauces...and salads etc.

9. Re: suggestions! short trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 06, 2014