We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth, United...
reviews: 6
please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

I am looking to go on a 4 day ski break, have found ideal flights to geneva which is the only ski destination i can reach from my local airport. Never been skiing before and would really like some advise on how to book accomodation (is it possible to stay on the ski resort? chalet/hotel) need to find a suitable ski resort not too far from geneva airport thats good for beginners! then also would like to know what i need to do in regards to ski equip hire, ski passes, lessons and anything else i might need! I really am clueless and would just like any advice if anybody would be so kind :)

munich
reviews: 38
1. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

GENEVA

Geneva is a main hub for many package ski companies (Thomsonski, Crystal, Inghams etc) for France.

I assume you may have not looked at it geographically but Geneva is at the very end of Switzerland in a little corner nearly completely surround by France. There are loads of French ski resorts in this corner and you will find transfers to a french resort a lot easier.

HOW MANY

Firstly how many are "you" - on your own or a couple.

DATES

Need exact dates. Imperative for Hotels and ski lessons. Many Hoteliers will not take an advanced booking for only 3 or 4 nights in the peak season.

January between 5th Jan and 25th January is lower season prices but also bloody cold.

LESSONS

This is often a big problem for complete beginnner. Ski schools for complete beginners often begin on Sundays or Mondays. The don't allow complete beginners to join halfway through

SKI EQUIPMENT

Skis/boots/sticks obviously get in resort however you are going to need skijacket/trousers/gloves/hats/googles/sunglasses/skisocks as basics. The quality of the gloves are important as you will fall down a lot.

You can wear layers of t-shirts/sweatshirts underneath. Actually as a beginner will be working harder and therefore staying warmer.

Hiring of some ski clothes (Jackets and trousers) is possible in some major resorts but not that widespread

COST

Many beginners do not realise the overall cost of a skiing holiday and many people who have been skiing for years have long since forgotten.

YOu should take this all into account unless money is no object

As a beginner you don't really need some "carlos fandango" top ski resort where you will be paying over the odds for your Hotel, lessons, equipment hire, food, etc.

Also you should be aware that Switzerland and France are the most expensive. You can easily pay 50% + more than Austria for skipasses/lessons etc.

Been there, seen that, done it - and from the UK paying for a family plus 2 Kids + lessons + ski hire + passes to ski in France and Switzerland.

Switzerland offers generally better accommodation and alpine charm than France. Many French resorts have been purpose built are more concrete jungle but I go for the skiing

RESORTS

Although part of the Portes de Soleil huge skiing area (so a bit "Carlos Fandango) easy to get to from Geneva is Les Gets (France). Really Suitable for a complete beginner. You could also consider Morzine but first choice Les Gets

This company for instance does a shuttle service from Geneva Airport to Les Gets and Morzine

http://www.morzexpress.com/Timetables.html

as does this company

http://www.powdercab.com/

Les Gets and Morzine are nice enough villages with "Alpine" style buildings and not "concrete jungles" like in some other purpose built French Ski resorts like Les Arc, La Plagne, Tignes and Courchevel

Edited: 8:12 am, September 18, 2012
munich
2. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

There is a special 3 day pack on offer for complete beginners that may appeal to you

http://en.portesdusoleil.com/index.php?nav=93

Note the above dates for the offer. 8 January through to 12 February.

If you can go end of January/start of February more ideal. Days getting longer and (hopefully) more sun.

e.g

Heres the list for Les Gets

…portesdusoleil.com/ski-lessons-les-gets.html

I would contact them first before you book anything to check their start days and see if you can fit in your flights

munich
3. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

Town link for other info including accommodation etc

http://en.lesgets.com/snow-ski/

Bournemouth, United...
reviews: 6
4. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

Thankyou for the reply, it would be me and my partner, possibly another couple coming with us so either 2 or 4. we were looking to go on a mon (25th feb 2013) and return on the thurs. specifically wanted these dates. I was aware that its surrounded by french resorts and do not mind this. thankyou for the info and links as i was really struggling to find websites! it sounds as you said a lot more pricey than i'd imagined so I'll have to reconsider depending on the prices i find. thankyou for your advice, its really helpful!

munich
5. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

Wherever you choose (Switzerland, France, Austria whatever) 25th February is in the middle of peak season. Also (depending on which country) different school half term holidays making it really busy.

6. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:41 am, November 25, 2012
7. Re: please help with advise for ski holiday near Geneva,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, December 13, 2013