We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva food and drink prices

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton in Ashfield...
reviews: 2
Geneva food and drink prices

I'm thinking of taking a short break to Geneva early next year and was wondering what the meals and drinks prices are.Beer and wine. Not been for many years. There were twelve Swiss Francs to the pound then.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
1. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

That is many years! Before I was born actually! Or may-be you are thinking about 12 French Francs for a Pound! Anyway, we are now at about CHF 1.5 = GBP 1.

To your question, Geneva is rather expensive. A coffee would cost about CHF 3.80, a Frapuccino Grande about CHF 8, a Big Mac meal: CHF 12, a meal in a regular nice restaurant with 1/2 bottle of wine per person: CHF100 each.

Hope this helps.

Sutton in Ashfield...
2. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

Thanks very much, Swissdiver. I expected it to be expensive. I actually last visited in 1967.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
3. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

That was actually before I was born! :-) At the time Bretton Woods was still in force. So yes, it was about 1 for 12. Btw, just found http://fx.sauder.ubc.ca/etc/USDpages.pdf: FX rates since WW2...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
4. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

I well remember the Swiss franc at 4.32 to the USD and 12frs to the GBP!! And wish it were that way again.

For dinner for one in a pizzeria - salad as entrée, pasta, dessert, 2dl of wine and a coffee - about 50-60frs.

Lunch specials are the way to go and buy something from a supermarket for dinner. 17-25frs for 2-3 course lunches with no drinks. Add 5-10frs for a glass of wine or beer and 4frs for a coffee. Try also the manora restaurant in the Manor department store. Really good value for money. Lunch for 2 for around 25frs (no wine and coffee)

And remember that since 1971 service is included in ALL prices all over the country so you leave no tip unless the waiter has really provided special service for you. Tax (VAT) is also included.

Manchester, United...
5. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

Hi...

I am planning to visit geneva but I have very tight budget.

I don't plan to have any wine there, and eating only fast food (something like kebabs in the UK?)

How much do you think should i save aside for food for a day? And small little souvenirs perhaps? Accommodation has been sorted.

Thank you in advance!

Edited: 7:32 am, August 02, 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

Big Mac menu = CHF 12

Kebabs = CHF 10 - 12

Sandwiches: CHF 7 to 12 or more

This is just to help you monitoring your expectations...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
7. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

Fast food is not necessarily cheaper than a daily menu in a self-service cafeteria like the Manora at the Manor Department Store. And the food at Manora tastes (and is!) a whole lot better!! You can eat there for 8-10frs+ per person. Tap Water is free...

Manchester, United...
8. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

Ahhh.. Thanks for the advices! :)

9. Re: Geneva food and drink prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 04, 2014