We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greeley, Colorado
Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

I will be in Geneva for two nights in September and will have my three year old and my mother in law with me. I would like to eat in a good, but comfortable French, northern Italian/Ticinese, or Swiss restaurant. My understanding is that higher end restaurants in Geneva are more discriminating thatn other Swiss areas on children in restaurants.

Also does anyone have any recomendations for a good Gelateria?

Thanks.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
1. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Of course, you will also need to find a restaurant that allows mothers-in-law... ;-)

Greeley, Colorado
2. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Good point.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 264
3. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

I don't see any problem having a child with you in restaurants in Geneva. If you need a special chair, then you might want to ask for it upon booking. And when it comes to top end restaurants, usually no one wants to bring a small child for a 2+ hours meal...

www.molino.ch/cms/front_content.php… (website in French but there is a video in English - link below the pictures) could be an option. Service can be slow, but location is unique, by the lake, in the city centre. You can have a drink first in the very nearby (30 metres) Tour du Molard that used to be the harbour entrance 150 years ago before land was claimed back.

Gelateria: my favourite is http://www.gelato-mania.ch/. But you have to take away. The best is to buy (either in the Paquis shop or on rue des Eaux-Vives) and go by the lake (less than 100 metres).

Enjoy your stay!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
4. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

While children are very welcome in pizzerias and other such places you are right in thinking that the very "high end" restaurants might be less than thrilled at having a toddler there unless he or she was very well behaved and quiet in which case there would not be a problem. But since one cannot guarantee this in advance I would suggest sticking to pizzerias etc which are well used to welcoming children and do it well. However if you wish to eat "Swiss" food think about going to the old standby, the Cave Valaisanne on the Blvd Georges-Favon near Plainpalais. They have fondues, raclettes etc as well as many other things on the menu and since many tourists eat there, there are always some children in the restaurant.

Greeley, Colorado
5. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Your advice is much appreciated. I would like to eat French, but I am realistic and since so many French restaurants do steak, I pass. Why would an American eat steak at the prices I have seen for steak. I've eaten at Morton's in Chicago (the original) and have been through Omaha enough to have eaten enough steak for me. The difference would be atmosphere and the French like sauces, it might be worth it but then again it might be much better.

What about Au Petit Chalet? The reviews seem ok to me and seem to serve similar food. One constant I have seen in Switzerland is a lot of Italian or Italian like food at non Italian restaurants. Of course I saw this in Germany and Luxembourg ten years ago too. Being Italian (ok my name is Sicilian) I find it interesting since Italian is not the cheapest food in the USA.

Once again thank you.

Canandaigua
reviews: 117
6. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

We always go to Les Armures in the old town.It's very famous for fondue and other swiss specialities. They are fine with children. L'Entrecoute is the place for steak-frites...

For French, go to France, silly.

Actually, there are some awesome French restaurants in Geneva...

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Les Armures is very nice indeed, as is its setting!

The other restaurant mentioned is "l'Entrecôte" (which is a cut of steak BTW) and that is on the rue du Rhône very near the lake and the Jardin Anglais. Their speciality is steak with the most divine sauce, frites and salad. They have little else and people queue to get in there. You can reserve - see this for their number:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188057-c127289/Gen…

However I would not eat steak in Switzerland. It is very hard to get a decent steak here. If you want a steak, then order a filet de boeuf, which is more expensive but practically guaranteed to be tender. Steak, even at l'Entrecôte, usually is not. And no way does it meet American standards! However if you are in a self catering flat or chalet, and can get to any Manor Food supermarket, buy one of their aged steaks. They are divine. (So is the price!)

We have a lot of pizzerias - but then much of our country is on the Italian border OR borders the Ticino so we have a fair number of Italians. (Here in Martigny just go to the Thursday market - you will hear a lot of Italian in the street!!) And pizzerias here do not only serve pizza nor only Italian food. Most do a really good plat du jour which has nothing to do with Italy! They are good places to go for a family. From the point of view of child-friendly AND price AND choice!

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 94
8. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Would also support les Armures. It gives you a pretty good Swiss experience and I've always found the experience pleasant. Nice location in the centre of the old town.

Meat in Switzerland is going to be expensive and disappointing particular to visitors from the US or South America.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
9. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Don't totally agree with the last line! Beef is not great and thus you are right there... but lamb, pork, and especially veal is lovely. When we lived in NY for some time I longed for some good Swiss veal. Can't get anything like it in the US (I suppose they let all their cows grow up into steaks!!)

Greeley, Colorado
10. Re: Restaurants That Allow Children in Geneva

Your observations are correct on veal in the United States. What we do have is milk feed only and very, very expensive and frankly a bit inhumane. I believe in Europe cows were primarily used for dairy purposes and it made more sense to slaughter the young animal than let it grow. But I observed what you have, veal is common and good in Europe.