We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

weather

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boone, North...
weather

What is the best time for "summer" weather?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: weather

Hi, Bob B, and welcome to the Swiss forum! I'm afraid that your question is almost impossible to answer - weather is just to unpredictable! The averages are available on the major weather websites but, of course, they are only averages and could be totally wrong in any given year. Mathematically, July is the warmest and driest month.

Hope this helps

Edited: 1:58 pm, July 28, 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
2. Re: weather

Small hint: I would not use the fields of mathematics in order to answer this question. Try it here: www.meteoschweiz.admin.ch/web/en/climate.html

Edited: 2:09 pm, July 28, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
3. Re: weather

Judging by what we have seen here since May this year: Summer weather = Monday to Friday, non-summer weather = Saturday and Sunday.

Personally I think the most consistently good weather period here is September and the first half of October.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
4. Re: weather

Averages are averages, MartinP, and that's mathematics. As a once professor of mathematics and statistics, I would trust historic averages as at leeast a somewhat reliable record of past weather. As an attorney, I would pick it apart as evidence!!

Edited: 2:20 pm, July 28, 2012
Zurich, Switzerland
5. Re: weather

Given its geographical location, Geneva's sun shines potentially for the longest time in June. Statistically spoken, the hottest days are in late July.

But if you take a look at the real measurements, July 2011 for example was an unusual cold month with lot of rain and clouds, avarage day (not to be mismatched with max day temp!) temperature where often below 15º C. Hottest day in June 2011 however, was on June 29th with an extremely unusual avarage day temperature of 25º C!

The hottest period in 2011 used to be in the second half of August; actually again unusal hot days with avarage day temperature constantly over 20º C. Between 13th and 26th of August the maximal day temperature was constantly over 25º C. The hottest day on August 22nd, 2011 with maximal day temperature of 34.5º C.

However, in 2010, a real summer in Genève happened to be between late June until late July 2010. August 2010 was rather avarage with 11 rain days.

take a look here (only avarage day temperature are shown here, of course): …admin.ch/web/…Geneve_Cointrin.html

Zurich, Switzerland
6. Re: weather

"Averages are averages, MartinP, and that's mathematics." by KM

That's obvious. But with mathematics alone you cannot explain wheater /climat phenomenos at all.

And give me any natural sicence disciplin that do not take usage of any form of mathematics. That's about the same as you would say, in order to be able to cook, you need water. What is obviously true.

Edited: 3:58 pm, July 28, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
7. Re: weather

<However, in 2010, a real summer in Genève happened to be between late June until late July 2010>

And, of course, despite Switzerland being a small country, there are enormous variations in the weather from one place to another. I did a nine-day hike in the Central Swiss Alps in late July 2010 and it rained pretty constantly six days out of the nine. When I got home to Neuchâtel, my friends there were most surprised, as the weather had been mostly warm and sunny.

8. Re: weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 31, 2013