We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 118
Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

Hi everyone- I have recently relocated to Geneva with my family and am now playing travel agent for my wonderful parents and aunt. They are coming to visit in October with the intent of seeing Geneva and also spending a good amount of time with my daughter. With that, could you give me your perspective on the following:

- what is the best fondue place to take them for one night of fondue?

- In October, can they take a boat to Yvoire? They will definitely like it there but not sure of best way to get them there.

- What is a good place to get a special cake? Both my mom and aunt will celebrate their birthdays while here.

- How early do they need to be at the train station for TGV to Paris?

Just for perspective, I am also planning on taking them to Old Town, on a chocolate tour, to the Saleve (weather permitting), to the lake front area.

Thanks!

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 105
1. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

Will you have a car? If yes, I can recommend some very cool mountain restaurants about an hour's drive away for a great fondue.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
2. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

Hi ladybugx87,

I think you'll have a wonderful visit!

You can see all the lake ferry schedules at

www.cgn.ch

for travel to Yvoire. As I recall, I think you would take a train to Nyon and a boatbus from there to Yvoire. I think it's regular service, but check the schedule to be sure.

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
3. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

Hi again,

Just had a flash of common sense (uncommon, for me!) and did a search for the transport from Geneva to Yvoire at the SBB site. I picked 12 Oct as the day of travel.

At 09.20, 10.20, and 10.56, there is the route that I suggested above -- train to Nyon and ferry to Yvoire.

However, at 10.15 there is a direct ferry from Geneva Mont-Blanc dock to Yvoire, and it takes about 90 minutes.

If you don't already have it, the SBB site is at

www.rail.ch

s

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 118
4. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

Yes, we will have a car- would love your suggestions!

Edited: 1:07 pm, July 26, 2012
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
5. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

OK If you have a car then go to Yvoire by car. Much easier than the boat from Geneva or Nyon (parking for the boat at Nyon is problemmatic and the pier is quite a long way from the station).

Drive to Hermance along the lake road. Cross into France on the little bridge and continue on via Chens-sur-Léman to Yvoire. It is a really pretty drive and the small villages are superbe.

Book for lunch in Yvoire at the Hòtel de Pré de la Cure. It has its own parking lot and this is free for people who have lunch there. And the lunch is fantastic. Amuse bouche, starter, filets de perche in a yummy lemon sauce with wonderful frites, salad and dessert for about €33 including tax and service. A local wine "Roussette" has a lemony taste and goes perfectly with the fish.

Then after lunch explore the village. It is really beautiful (as is the view of its walls from the restaurant!). If the Jardin des Cinq Sens is still open - it closes sometime in october - it is well worth the time and money to visit. It is in the old vegetable garden of the château and provides something for each of your five senses.

Another suggestion I have is for a tour of the Léman. Look at this for ideas:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…31921442

For geneva itself see this:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188057-c127289/Genev…

Further afield you can visit Annecy (beautiful town) Chamonix (have lunch at the Maison Carrier) in France AND make a circle tour:

Geneva/Chamonix/ Col des Montets/ Col de la Forlcaz/ Martigny (fondation Gianadda) / Montreux and back to Geneva.

Hope this helps - I moved to Geneva when I was 23, some 47 years ago, and loved every second of the seven years we spent there... Lucky, lucky you!!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
6. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

PS

Chocolate Factory is best done as a day trip and incorporate Gruyères. Chocolate factory is at Broc, about 10km or so from Gruyères. Take autoroute to Lausanne, then follow "Simplon" and get off at Vevey, heading on the A9 to Bern. Exit at Bulle and follow signs for Broc. Once you get to Broc (not far from Bulle) you will see signs for the factory. Technically it is at "Broc Fabrique". Lots of parking near it.

Then go on to Gruyères for lunch (if you have room left after all the chosc!) Go up to the village first park and have lunch,. Then visit the Cheese Factory near the station before continuing on towards Château d'Oex. Turn RIGHT jsut before Ch.d'Oex onto the road for the Col des Mosses and take the Col road over to Aigle. From there back to the autoroute (A9) towards Lausanne and home to Genève. A really lovely day... and the scenery on the Mosses is superbe too.

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 105
7. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

For some rustic restaurants, here are my driving directions (both take an hour from Geneva)

The first is the Auberge du Lac des Joncs:

myswitzerland.com/en/auberge-du-lac-des-jonc…

Take the motorway towards Vevey. Just before Vevey, join the A12 motorway, direction Bern/Fribourg. Come off at the first exit, Chatel St. Denis/Les Paccots. Follow signs to Les Paccots (right as you exit the motorway). Drive up to the village and after the centre of the village, take the first road on the right, following the sign to the Auberge du Lac des Joncs. Drive up to the Auberge. There's a pretty nature reserve lake behind the hotel and a nice terrace if the weather is good. The views are lovely of the mountains.

myswitzerland.com/en/auberge-du-lac-des-jonc…

If it's the evening, I would suggest another place.

www.lesrosalys.ch/

Do as above, but once you arrive in the village of Les Paccots stay on the main village road (don't take the right turn up to Lac des Joncs). About half a mile on from the centre of the village, look for the sign for Les Rosalys Hotel on the right. Take the turning and drive up the steep road for 2 minutes. Park in front of the hotel. Les Rosalys has really good food. It's in a pretty forest setting with nice chalets around.

There are two beautiful mountain buvettes you can drive to in the summer (will be closed by October I'm afraid). Drive to Les Paccots village. Continue through the village, and remain on the main road (take no turnings), after you end the forest proper, take the turning on the right signposted Creux des Tables, Buvette La Saletta and Buvette Le Vuipay. Follow the rioad up and up and up. La Saletta comes first, and if this is full, you can continue to Le Vuipay. Your journey will take about an hour and 15 from Geneva.

les-paccots.ch/en/…la-saletta-1

les-paccots.ch/en/…le-vuipay-2

Have fun. It's nice to get up into the mountains and the pre-alps are satisfyingly pointy but also easy to access.

8. Re: Playing Travel Agent for Visitors - tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 05, 2013