We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merits of hiring taxis from annecy to get to lyon, geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SCOTLAND
reviews: 3
Merits of hiring taxis from annecy to get to lyon, geneva

Bit confused today!! - ive ordered a taxi from geneva airport to annecy on our arrival (4 adults) on holiday -going to cost 100 euros (£75 pounds) which is fair does - once in annecy i have been looking at daytrips to geneva and lyon but the train timetables quote journey times of up to 2.5 hours at a cost of £160 pounds This confuses me because i understand that annecy was only 40 lilometres from geneva so why does the trains take so long (even for direct trains - on the basis of the info above i would be cheaper and quicker hiring a taxi to take us to these places rather than public transportI - am i missing something obvious here - any help appreciated.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
1. Re: Merits of hiring taxis from annecy to get to lyon, geneva

There is no direct railway line and no direct trains from Annecy to Geneva - the only connection with no changes at all is a bus, which presumably goes all round the houses given that it takes two hours.

The most direct train in terms of the number of changes (12:00 departure from Annecy) goes via Aix-les-Bains, which is actually as far south of Annecy as Geneva is north... so you are covering three times the distance between the two places as the crow flies. Plus you have to wait half an hour there for the connection...

French railways are unfortunately a bit of a mess once you get off of the TGV network and on to secondary lines.

All the other connections seem to require multiple changes and a mixture of train, bus and tram.

Edited: 12:01 pm, July 21, 2012
SCOTLAND
reviews: 3
2. Re: Merits of hiring taxis from annecy to get to lyon, geneva

thanks very much Neuch - will likely use a taxi service and try to negotiate discount for frequent use! Theres 4 of us so for convenience sake its easier getting taxis - thanks again.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 264
3. Re: Merits of hiring taxis from annecy to get to lyon, geneva

Let me add that furthermore the train station that serves the Savoie region (where Annecy is) is closed for a couple of years due to full reconstruction...

4. Re: Merits of hiring taxis from annecy to get to lyon, geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 13, 2013