We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milan to Geneva by rail

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 8
Milan to Geneva by rail

I am trying to book a train from Milan to Geneva on 31st August. Previous research leads me to believe this was around a 4.5 hour direct journey.

Does anybody know if there any rail disruptions around this date as all trips seem to show at least one change and journey times of up to 6 or 7 hours?

If this is the case, can anyone recommend an alternative route to get to Geneva, either:

1. a picturesque route similar to the Swiss Alps journey or

2. a quicker, more direct route possibly stopping at somewhere we could have a 2 hour quick look around the city (e.g. Lausanne, Zurich)

Thanks for your help

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

Hi secondtoughest --

If you use the Swiss rail site to get the schedules, you'll see that there is a small blue icon noting construction on this route on that day. BTW, the Swiss rail site (if you don't already know it) is at

www.rail.ch

Sorry, can't suggest another route -- i would just go, and be patient --

s

UK
2. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

Thanks for the reply.

I tried to book via the Swiss rail website but they said they could not give me a price as I was travelling from another country to Switzerland. I then tried the Italian rail website as suggested, but the English only lasts the first page and I couldn't translate what I was booking. Any ideas of where else to book?

The Italian website also does not say that there is construction work, although I believe that to be the case.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
3. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

<Does anybody know if there any rail disruptions around this date as all trips seem to show at least one change and journey times of up to 6 or 7 hours>

The Swiss Railways website shows the 12:25 departure from Milan as taking 4 hours 23 minutes on that day because of the construction work, which is only half an hour longer than usual (3 hours 53 minutes). The site says that the times shown take account of the works.

You could go via the longer Gotthard route (Milan - Lugano - Luzern - Bern - Fribourg - Lausanne - Geneva), this is very scenic except for the half-hour stretch between Olten and Bern.

Edited: 4:41 pm, July 13, 2012
UK
4. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

The 12.25 journey would be ideal, but not sure of the best website to book it?

Bucks
reviews: 2
5. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

The Simplon route (Geneva-Lausanne-Brig-Milan) is BLOCKED at Dommodossola due to engineering work from 11 August until 2 September 2012. A bus will operate instead of the train for part of the Geneva-Milan journey during this period.

Journeys starting at the Swiss end should always be booked at www.sbb.ch, the Swiss railways site, with ticket collection at any SWISS station.

Journeys starting at the Italian end should be booked at www.fsitaliane.it with ticket collection at any main ITALIAN station - the cheap fare is called 'smart1' or if sold out 'smart2', select those when the 'More fares' drop down box appears AFTER initlailly selecting the train you want from the initial search results.

Edited: 12:40 pm, July 15, 2012
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 118
6. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

In fact it will be blocked at Iselle until Domo. Buses will cover the route that is blocked. Not the Swiss fault! It is the Italians who are doing the work and blocking the line. Why on earth they chose August to do this is beyond me!!

UK
7. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

Thanks for all the information! The Italian website isn't showing the construction work, which is a bit confusing.

Can you explain the 'SMART/SMART2' prices? They're 19 and 29 euros respectively which is a big reduction from the standard 74.40 - do I need to show a pass for these or do I automatically qualify?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 118
8. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

I think you are talking about Trenitalia's discount fares. These are reductions based on changes to the refund policy. The cheapest is almost entirely non refundable. Best to read the "fine print" and then be sure that you will actually travel on that particular train...

9. Re: Milan to Geneva by rail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 18, 2013