We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Shanghai
3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

We are going to have 3 days in Montreux in the beginning of July and then will take the Golden Pass to Lucernce for 5 days. We would like to visit Lake Geneva and Vevey while we are staying in Montreux and like to see Zurich and Burn or Interlaken... Any suggestions for attractions or things must see and do along the way?

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 25
1. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi wstong,

Here are links to my "reviews" (w/photos) of my favorite activities while based at Montreux:

Montreux old town

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Lavaux

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d669…

Promenade Fleuri

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188108-d546…

Morges

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198828-r408…

Gruyeres

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g198820-r408…

Saanen

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

Gstaad

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188079-r408…

I don't include Chillon because most folks already intend to visit. You can see Gruyeres, Saanen, and/or Gstaad while enroute from Montreux to Luzern, as they are on the GP route (Gruyeres is a little detour).

Yes, Vevey is well worth half a day. Just take the bus (#201), the lake ferry (www.cgn.ch), or the train there. Poke around all the streets in its old town next to the lake, and walk along the lake at least as far as La Tour-de-Peilz. If you're there over a Saturday, that would be the time to see Vevey as that's the day of their weekly market.

Is there anything specific that you have in mind for Montreux?

Have fun as you plan!

s

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
2. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

I would suggest that you invert your plans and spend 5 days in the Montreux area, adding to the suggestions above that you come to the Valais to visit Roman Martigny and the Gianadda Museum on one day and perhaps make a day trip to Zermatt on another (need good weather for this).

See this link for a tour of Martigny:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g580371-s4/Martigny…

Meantime between the two places you can, if you take the more normal train route, stop off in Bern to see that wonderful small city. Here is a link to a walking tour of Bern:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

It is easy to get to Zürich from Luzern but if you do reduce your time there to 3 nights and want to also take a lake cruise, visit the Transport Museum and perhaps go to Mt Titlis or Pilatus or Rigi, then you need to do this at the very end of your stay. At any event, here is a link to how to see the best of Zürich!

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g188113-i337-k42…

Shanghai
3. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi Swandav,

Many thanks for your advices. I went thru all the links you attached and found they are indeed very detailed and really helpful...

Since we only have two and a half days, be precise, to spare in Montreux area, and there are so much to see and do. It is very difficult to choose. I may incline to see: Chillon, Promenade Fleuri, Vevey, Morges and walk in the vineyards if weather permits and plus Geneva. Am I trying to do too much? Any suggestion on how to arrange them in order to fit in the schedule?

After leaving Montreux, we will take GoldenPass Line to Interlaken, then go on from Interlaken to Luzern. There are a little over 4 hours time gap in between, do we have enough time to do any sightseeing or we have to make a day trip from Luzern once we are there? We are going to have 4 whole days (5 nights) in Lucernce area and try to use it as our base and like to see Zurich and Burn and/or Interlaken and, of course want to spend sometime in Lucence. Any recommendations?

Again, many thanks for your suggestions.

wstong

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
4. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi wstong,

Well, I cannot believe that I didn't mention this, but it appears you will be in Montreux at the same time as the internationally famous Montreux Jazz Fest. I really hope you've already got your hotel booked!

The Montreux Jazz Fest will go on from 29 June - 14 July, and it will affect everything at the lake and everything you may want to see. Everything is going to be really crowded.

On arrival day, I would just soak up the views and ambiance of Montreux. Walk through Montreux as far as Clarens (the Auditorium Stravinsky) and walk down to the lake and then walk back to Montreux. Stop at a few cafes or lakeside benches to soak up the views.

The next day, walk to Chillon and see Chillon, and then continue walking until you get to Villeneuve, a lovely little town. The entire walk will take around 90 minutes. In the afternoon, you can take the train to Morges, maybe have dinner at the lakeside, then take the train back to Montreux.

On your last day, take the ferry to Vevey and spend the morning there, getting lost in the winding streets of its old town. You may want to walk out to La Tour-de-Peilz along the lake and then walk back to Vevey. Have lunch in one of the cafes or restaurants in the old town, or in the Hostellerie de Geneve in the main square. In the afternoon, take the train from Vevey to Chexbres, then walk from Chexbres downhill to Rivaz or to St. Sapphorin through the vineyards. If you want to spend more time, you could take the train to Lutry, a lovely town with a sign-posted walk of medieval buildings, then walk through the vineyards to Grandvaux, Cully, or Epesses. Then you can either take the train back to Montreux or the lake ferry.

I strongly discourage you from making a trip from Luzern to Interlaken. Interlaken itself isn't a huge draw -- it's just a very touristy town with lots of tour busses and off-loaded day-tripping passengers. The big draw are the mountains, but they are a further 2h from Luzern -- so overall a day-trip to Interlaken will be around 8h inside a train in a day.

Unfortunately, no, with only a four-hour break in your journey, you don't have time to ascend the mountains, then descend to make your connection. You do have time (I think) to go as far as Wengen during your 4-hour break. Wengen is a beautiful car-free village perched up in the mountains, and you'd probably want to see it. More information at

www.mywengen.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
5. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Sorry, I made an error in my post above, in the 6th paragraph.

The mountains aren't a further 2h from Luzern, but rather 2h from Interlaken.

s

Shanghai
6. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi Hambagahle,

Many thanks for your suggestions.

Sorry as I did not mention early that before arriving Montreux, we will stop at St. Moritz and Zermatt. Gven the fact that we have already booked hotels both in Montreux and Lucernce, so now I need to figure out how we suppose to spend our last 4 whole days in Lucernce area. Maybe a day tirp to Zurich and another one to Burn and some time in that area... if not going to Interlaken as Ms. swandav strongly discouraged Any suggestions in that region?

Many thanks for your time and your thoughts!

wstong

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 157
7. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi wstong

The Lucerne area has a lot to offer. You can find heeps of information on www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum).

At Lucerne itself you should not miss:

- www.verkehrshaus.ch (alow at least four hours)

- www.gletschergarten.ch (alow at least two to three hours)

- the old town of Lucerne, the beautiful churches and the medieval city wall and the towers (this takes me at least four hours)

Great excursions in the area

- cruises on lake Lucerne - www.lakelucerne.ch -

- www.rigi.ch

- www.stanserhorn.ch

- www.pilatus.ch

- www.titlis.ch

- www.klewenalp.ch

You can find more information about the lake Lucerne area at

- www.brunnentourismus.ch and Top Questions about Brunnen (TA Brunnen forum)

- www.zugtourismus.ch and Top Questions about Zug (TA Zug forum)

etc etc etc

If you want to see experience the Lucerne area you will not have time to visit other areas like Jungfrau etc.

Have a great trip

pore

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
8. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

I agree with Swandav that Interlaken, per se is not worth a visit. In fact I was there yesterday - getting off a lake boat at Interlaken West and getting on a train for Spiez. My feeling about Interlaken is that while it might have been marvellous in the late 1890's early 1900's today it is full of souvenir shops, and really not well looked after,. However it is only 30 mins from Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and a further 12 mins up to Wengen... so it does make a good base for travel in the immediate area.

For me Luzern is a small, interesting town but one day there is more than enough for the town itself. If you wish to make excursions in the area, then add another day or two. No more. However you say perhaps you can include Bern from Luzern, whch you certainly can and should. It is very very differnt and quite remarkable. For me, the historic centre of Bern is much more interesting than the small historic centre of Luzern, for example. And very different - so do not miss out on Luzern, but do not spend too much time there either! Zürich OR Basel would be another option while staying in Luzern. Both have very large "old towns" - Basel even larger than Zürich. And both are, again, different one from the other, and both from Luzern!! If oyu are a museum-goer Basel is a must. More than 40 different and excellent museums.

I suppose that since your visit to Montreux co-incides with the Jazz Festival it will not be possible to change - prolong in fact - you hotel reservation there. So you are stuck with what you have, and that is not he end of the world! Just be prepared for huge crowds in Montreux and a slightly slower pace of doing things....as a result of the crowds.

Shanghai
9. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi Swandav,

Excellent suggestions as usual!

Yes, our hotel room in Montreux is well reserved in advance and I confrimed with them today again. While we are there we will certainly try to follow the daily schedule and now we need keep our fingures cross and hope for the good clear weather.... Can't wait!

Many thanks.

wstong

Shanghai
10. Re: 3 days in Montreux and 5 days in Lucernce

Hi Pore and Hambagahle,

Many thanks for all of your great inputs.

While in Lucern lake area, beside one day trip to Zurich andI another to Burn, I would like to spend the time to take the Lucerne Lake Cruise, to Mt Rigi and /or Mt. Pilatus on a clear - do some hiking, and may take my daughter to the Transport Museum and visit the old town... Better suggestions?

One thing I am still struggling is if we should spend the half day in Morges or to visit Geneva, as this is our first time in Swiss. Which is better choice?

wstong