We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Prague, Czech...
reviews: 72
How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

Hiya!

Could anybody advice, how much cash should I bring for a weekend in Geneva? I would like to pay as much as I can with a debit card, but still I guess I need some cash. Thanksssssss

London
reviews: 104
1. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

What sorts of things are you planning on doing? Fancy restaurants, simple meals, picnics, alcohol, shopping, dat tripping out of town?

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 362
2. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

You can pay almost everywhere with a debit card in Geneva (Maestro, Visa, MC). Noticeable exceptions are many taxis and most of the bus ticket booth. And you should be able to withdraw money with your card at any ATM.

Petty expenses (i.e. below CHF 20) are usually paid in cash here. So having some is useful. The amount will however depend on your plans... As a wild guess, and without taxis, CHF 100 cash should suffice. Add CHF 25 per taxi ride down-town and 40 to and from the airport (although train is faster and free provided you take a free ticket in the luggage hall at the airport).

Prague, Czech...
3. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

Thank you very much, Swissdiver!

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 29
4. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

Must of the old bus ticket machines have been replaced. The new machines accept debit and credit cards.

Geneva, Switzerland
reviews: 108
5. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

And if you're staying in a Geneva hotel, you'll have a free bus/tram/train/boat pass anyway.

Geneva, Switzerland
6. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

Duplicate post

Edited: 8:10 am, June 28, 2012
Geneva, Switzerland
7. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

And if you're staying in a Geneva hotel, you'll have a free bus/tram/train/boat pass anyway.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 362
8. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

jonbvn: "Must of the old bus ticket machines have been replaced. The new machines accept debit and credit cards." Not quite... Actually many old machines remain. And the installation of the new ones is slower than expected notably because of technical issues.

Prague, Czech...
9. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

hiya, thank your for the advice. Actually, believe or not, but I only spent about 50 eur. If youre staying in a hotel, you have a public transport (incl. boats) for free. Thats just wonderful. We were also really lucky and also some sights were free that weekend. But if I paid everything that I could by card, I guess I would only need about 10 Eur in cash. (Well I am a modest girl)

10. Re: How much pocketmoney for Geneva?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, July 20, 2013