We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Transfer at Geneva Station

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Noida, India
Train Transfer at Geneva Station

I shall be reaching Geneva from paris ( TGV ) around 11 .30 am with 3 big luggage bags with wheels . I have to change train for Lucern . Are there connecting trains easily available . How far do i have to walk for the connecting train . Will it be easier to carry the luggage and board the train . I dont know if at any point , do i have to lift the luggage to board the train ?

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 40
1. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

You don't have to walk too far but the transfer from the International platform is slightly complex and last time I was in Geneva the station was receiving an uplift with building work going on.

You will have to lift the luggage onto the train but the train crew may help you if you ask.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
2. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

You are travelling alone with three big pieces of luggage? Unless you move into he area to live for longer, you definitely need to learn packing light. Yes you will have to lift your luggage on some trains and you will drag it around the station. And not all platforms have escalators, not all hotel have lifts etc. Think about it.

Southport, United...
3. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

You will have to lift your luggage on and off the TGV as well.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
4. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

Connection is easy. You'll have to go down (elevator and ramp available), go through (usually unattended) custom, turn right to the next platform (4 or 6 - there is no 5 so same ramp). Max 5 minutes. Make sure though to buy your train ticket before boarding (www.rail.ch or on a machine at the station) as there is now a CHF 90 extra when you buy them in the train. And yes, you will have to carry your luggage.

Noida, India
5. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

thankyou all for information .

Let me clarify , that i am travelling with family including 2 kids .

I have to travel to Paris cdg to bastille marais ( citadine) , I hv 3 luggage . should i try to take some train or Cab . Pl advise .

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
6. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

A cab at Geneva train station? No, the change is within the same building. The platforms are actually contiguous.

In Paris, yes. You'll be much better of with a cab.

Noida, India
7. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

thanks a lot

Guildford, United...
reviews: 51
8. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

Do you particularly want to travel to Lucerne via Geneva? It would normally be much quicker to go Paris to Zurich to Lucerne.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 3
9. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

>It would normally be much quicker to go Paris to Zurich to Lucerne.

Zürich? I hope you meant Basel.

There is no reason to go to Zürich and then backtrack to Luzern. It takes aboutt he same time from Basel to Luzern as to Zürich.

10. Re: Train Transfer at Geneva Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 pm, June 20, 2013