We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salinas, California
reviews: 15
Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

Hello,

We will be traveling from Zermatt to Avignon in a day - preferably arriving by 4 pm. We are considering taking the train to Geneva airport, then renting a car to drive the remaining distance as we will need a car anyway and will be returning to the states via Geneva.

I see there is a train from Zermatt to Avignon via Visp and Geneva departing at 8:39 and arriving at 15:45 - pretty perfect. I have two questions. (1) Are the transfer times adequate? 20 minutes in Visp and 15 in Geneva. (2) What kind of immigration process should I be prepared for going from Switzerland to France and could it hamper our ability to make the connection?

Are there any other concerns I should be aware of with my choice of train/rental car versus this train schedule?

Thank you so much for any help.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
1. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

(1) Are the transfer times adequate? 20 minutes in Visp and 15 in Geneva.

Yes, that's plenty of time in both places. If the trains are on time, you will need 2 minutes in Visp and 5 in Geneva to change.

(2) What kind of immigration process should I be prepared for going from Switzerland to France and could it hamper our ability to make the connection?

Normally you just walk through without any check. If you are in the middle of the Visp-Geneva train, you will be close to the ramps down to the underpass when you get off and will beat the crowds. Trains to France leave from platforms 7 and 8.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
2. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

I have taken the same Avignon train from Geneva several times. Since it is a TGV you need to book seats so getting there at the last minute is not a problem. It is a very easy connection. I would "guestimate" total time from your inbound train to the Avignon one is about 3-4 minutes depending on your luggage.

There is a snack bar right before you go up the ramp to the French sector and they sell bottled water, sandwiches etc. you will even have time to get supplies! There will be no mini bar or dining car on the Visp-Geneva train.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
3. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

Regarding food and beverage, I am not sure the snack bar at Geneva station will be less expensive that the TGV bar where for EUR 12 you get a hot meal with a little first course and a drink (water or wine)...

In Visp, if my memory serves, there is a little Coop by the station where you can buy food and drinks at an affordable price.

Safe travel

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
4. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

There is a Coop and a Migros in Zermatt - I think the pre-made snadwiches at Migros are pretty good. You could easily pick up your train picnic before you leave Zermatt!

Salinas, California
reviews: 15
5. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

Thank you all for your helpful comments. It looks like I will have to wait a few weeks to actually purchase my ticket (not traveling until mid-September), but I plan to use this site: http://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html - it is the only one that appears to provide the entire trip in one itinerary.

I'm really looking forward to enjoying a train ride through the beautiful countryside. And thankfully we will have plenty of options for food and drinks along the way.

Cheers.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
6. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

As some of this uses the TGV watch at about 100 days out for the prem fares (adv. purchase discounts). I was working on fares for some friends here and found the prems were available at about 95 or 96 days and we snapped up the last two seats!

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
reviews: 307
7. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

http://www.sbb.ch/en/ is the right site to buy train tickets, even for international trips. Beware though that you won't be able to make a change in France on a ticket issued in Switzerland. So for the leg(s) after Avignon, if any, you might want to buy the relevant tickets on http://www.tgv-europe.ch/ (the French trains website).

8. Re: Train from Zermatt to Avignon via Geneva

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:42 pm, June 21, 2013