We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
KL
reviews: 44
Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

Hi,

A family of 4 (2A 2C) planning to arrive in Geneva airport in August and have a few days in Zermett before continuing to Milan, Italy.

Having transfer pass would be cheaper as both our children ticket will be FOC. My question is how does the transfer ticket work from Zermett to Italy?

1. Do I board a train directly to Milan? How about the ticket purchase for swiss border to Milan leg?

2. or do I board to the border city, which I am not sure where as well. And how do I buy the ticket from the border city to Milan?

I understand I can go back to Geneva and take a direct train from there, but I will loose lots of hours doing that.

Thanks

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
1. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

the Transfer Ticket would be valid Geneva-Zermatt-Geneva and you need to go to Brig to get your train to Italy.

I suggest you buy point to point tickets for the two adults. Second class one way Geneva airport to Zermatt is 95frs and Zermatt to Brig is 35frs for a total of 130frs which is the same as the Transfer ticket! Then buy a Junior Travel card for each child - 30frs each.

I am not sure what you mean by FOC??

Then you need a ticket and seat reservation for each person from Brig to Milan and on to wherever you are going in Italy. the Trenitalia site often has cheap tickets (limited refunds so read the small print!) so it wouild be worth getting them from Trenitalia.

www.trenitalia.com

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
2. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

The Transfer Ticket would be valid Geneva Airport - Zermatt - Domodossola (border station). p2p fares 147 CHF so the Transfer Ticket would give a saving of 17 CHF and get you a free Family Card for your children.

>1. Do I board a train directly to Milan? How about the ticket purchase for swiss border to Milan leg?

You change to the Milan train at Brig. You can either buy this ticket in Zermatt and and at the same time get your reservation for the Italian leg, or, as Hambagahle has suggested, consider buying on line and getting a cheaper but limited option fare.

No need to go back to Geneva!

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
3. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

Other problem is that these trains (Brig Italy) are almost always full. So a very good idea to get tickets and seats as soon as you can so (a) you get on the train and (b) you can sit together!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
4. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

No, there is no need to return to Geneva. The transfer ticket is from a point of entry to a destination by the most direct route traveled in one day and from a point in Swtizerland to a point of exit again by the most direct route and traveled in one day. So a transfer ticket would work fine as you could get your ticket from Domodossola as well as your reservations when you arrive in Zermatt. You have to buy the transfer ticket before you arrive in Switzerland (I usually use www.ricksteves.com or www.gemut.com) and be sure to ask about the family card when you do.

Hope this helps

KL
5. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

Thanks so much. Another matter though, if the border station is Domodosola and the transfer station is at Brig, from which city do I buy my ticket to Milan from? Domodosola-Milan or Brig-Milan?

bern
6. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

The offical border is Iselle in between the two, because of the confusing situation there they might accept Domodossola as well. Ask for a ticket from the border to Milan.

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
7. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

Domodossola

See synoptic map.

…swisstravelsystem.com/download_sts/uebersic…

bern
8. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

At least in the past they where telling us that Iselle is the bordering station and we would have to buy the ticket from there. Domodossola is included that you can get the train to Locarno. I hope they have changed this confusing rule.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
9. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

I actually asked at the counter in Visp last year and was told that the "grenzstation" is Iselle. However it is also true that the Swiss Passes all cover the trip Brig-Locarno via the Centovalli line and therefore Domodossola. It is posible that the Transfer ticket covers only to the border, as it clearly states.

I would buy a ticket from Iselle to Milano to be sure - will hardly cost much more anyway - but also would make sure that my seat is reserved from Brig to Milano because IF there are people going to Locarno and changing at Domo on the train one could be left standing for about 30 mins!!

KL
10. Re: Swiss transfer ticket Geneva-Zermett (Visp)-Italy border

Thanks for all the reply.

Hambagahle,

How do I reserve the seat from Brig to Milano when my ticket is from Iselle? Do I do two seat reservation? One from Brig to Iselle (under swiss transfer pass) and another from Iselle to Milan (under trentalia). I have used trentralia once but did not remember to reserve any seat.

Thanks