We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Which Geneva hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
reviews: 76
Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Hi there,

We will need to travel to Hilton in Evian Les Bains from Geneva Airport this weekend. Hilton Hotel website suggests taking a bus 10 to Geneva Cornavin and then a bus to Evian-les-Bains. Does anyone know how long this journey is and how much it's likely to cost?

I've checked the Swiss Rail and it seems around 50-70 Swiss Francs for 1.5-2.5 hr journey vis Lusanne.

http://fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/query.exe/en

I've contacted Hilton for alternative routes but they are not helpful!

What is the best and most economical way to get to Evian Les Bains from Geneva airport?

Many many thanks for your help in advance.

37 replies to this topic
Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
1. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Your problem here is that you entered Geneva as your starting point. The timetable has therefore routed you via Lausanne, then across the lake to Evian by boat.

Trains from Geneva to Evian go from the SNCF (French) railway station, which is Genève-Eaux-Vives. The journey takes just under an hour. There are four or five direct trains a day, plus some others that involve changing in Annemasse. I couldn't get the price online, but I would imagine that it will be no more than 15 to 20 euros.

The route via Lausanne and the boat is worth doing if you have the time though.

Edited: 12:05 pm, August 22, 2011
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 119
2. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Via Lausanne might be the fastest way - with best connections. And lots of trains per hour. Try to take an express with no stops between Geneva Cornavin and Lausanne... Otherwise you need to get from Cornavin station to les Eaux Vives by tram and then from there to Annemasse and from there to Evian.

Via Lausanne you jsut hop on any train to Lausanne (presumably from the airport if you arrive by air) and then Metro to Ouchy and shuttle boat to Evian. The Hilton is near the boat quai and without much luggage you can walk there in 10 mins. Or take a local taxi.

London, United...
3. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Thanks for the useful information.

Neuch- can you please tell me the website you were looking at? I didn't realise there are both Swiss station and French station in Geneva. Will I need to travel to Geneva town centre for Genève-Eaux-Vives or is that within Geneva airport?

Hambagahle- do you know how long this journey would take? It sounds rather complicated but might have to go that way. Will I be able to buy one ticket that covers all that from the airport?

Many thanks again. Very much appreciated.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
4. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

I was looking at www.sbb.ch/en.

To: Evian-les-Bains

Via: Genève-Eaux-Vives

From the airport, you would have to get any train to the main station in town, then tram No. 16 to Amandolier (Gare SNCF). Once you're off the tram, it's a five-minute walk to the station.

Going via Lausanne and the boat, you would get the train from the airport to Lausanne, then metro line 2 to Ouchy. From Ouchy, it's a five-minute walk to the boat.

Edited: 6:27 am, August 23, 2011
London, United...
5. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Great! Thank you :-)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
6. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Actually it is even less than a 5 min walk, both from the Amondolier stop to the Gare des EV and from the Metro stop to the pier in Ouchy. More like 2 or 3 in both cases. I think it would be simpler from the airport to take a train to Lausanne (there are some that only stop in Geneva en route and get there in about 45 mins or so). The Metro stop is across the Place de la Gare from the station in Lausanne - jsut exit the station and look for McDonalds. It is next to it. About 8 mins or less to Ouchy, then the boat. You can get all the schedules on

www.sbb.ch/en

For the lake boat just put in "via Lausanne".

Most of the trains to Evian from the Eaux Vives mean an additional change of train in Annemasse.

Martinsville, VA
reviews: 1
7. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Wow - this site is awesome. HAMBAGAHLE - or anyone: We like your Lausanne idea to the Hilton. BUT - we will arrive in Geneva from Paris on the TGV Macon-Loche, and are looking for the fast way to the Hilton. Is the French station Geneve-eaux-vives close to the TGV station? If so, can we reserve a time and seat on one of the express trains? Also, then how far is Hilton from Lausanne station? Thank you sooo much!!! DadHokie

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
8. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

Express trains from les Eaux Vives??? I don't think so. It will be lots aster to take a Swiss train to Lausanne, the Metro to Ouchy and the shuttle service across the lake.

Train to Lausanne - 45mins or less.

Metro - 10mins including waiting time

Shuttle boat 30 mins

Train via the Eaus Vives including getting over there - maybe 2 and a half hours.

HOWEVER - if you get off your TGV at Bellegarde, and time it right, you can get a train to Evian from there. Bellegarde is the stop before Geneva. However chances are that you will have to wait quite a while in Bellegade.

best thing is to look at the train schedule, and see if you have a decent connection. Otherwise the best way is via Lausanne and Ouchy and the boat. And you can easily walk from the pier in Evian to the Hilton...

you do not reserve seats on swiss trains, nor the Metro nor on lake shuttles. Just go and get on.

Martinsville, VA
reviews: 1
9. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

OK - Start laughing. Believe it or not, we thought Lausanne and Evian were on the same side of the lake. Don't ask me why ... because I don't have an answer. It does impress me that you saw my question and were kind enough to respond.

It appears we will be going from Paris to Montreux, so we can go on to Zermatt the next day. Do you have any suggestions for us as to which train service would be best to get us to Zermatt. When we leave Zermatt we will be heading to Verona before going up to Munich. Someday we hope to go HOME. (Assuming we can make all our connections).

Last (maybe) question is what do you think of an eurail pass? Do you know if it will help us with the trains in France, Switzerland, Germany and Italy? Thank you sooo much!!! You can tell we need help ... all we have so far are airline tickets from Washington, DC to Europe. DadHokie

Bern, Switzerland
reviews: 72
10. Re: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport

To travel from Paris to Evian: get off the TGV at Bellegarde (Ain) and change to a local train to Evian (no need to reserve a seat ).

You would lose a lot of time going through Geneva.

Train times are available at www.sbb.ch/en

Reply to: Geneva to Evian Les Bains by public transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted