We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Hi we love hiking, skiing, and seeing the quaint shops, lakes etc, have never been to this area and are centered out of Malaucence France but want to do a train ride to see switzerland for 2-3 days but don't know where to go? any ideas or suggestions ? T

London, UK
reviews: 58
11. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Go to Lucerne, you won't be disappointed. You might also consider spending a day going by train to either Grindelwald or Murren. You would spend most of the day travelling but it is a spectacular journey.

Calgary, Canada
12. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

London Bob, thanks for the info, if we take our car to Neice and drive to lucerne from there how long in our car would we be? It would be neat to park our car in Lucerne then take the train to the areas that you mentioned!! I leave tomorrow from Canada, do you have a minute to email me back? thanks a million

Calgary, Canada
13. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

London Bob, thanks for the info, if we take our car to Neice and drive to lucerne from there how long in our car would we be? It would be neat to park our car in Lucerne then take the train to the areas that you mentioned!! I leave tomorrow from Canada, do you have a minute to email me back? thanks a million

London, UK
reviews: 58
14. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Just logged on. Nice to Lucerne is about 350 miles but all of it can be done by motorway if you are in a hurry, so five hours or so is quite possible.

London
reviews: 104
15. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Swandav - not to be nit picky, but the prealps include places in Fribourg such as Les Paccots, my favourite place. Les Paccots is one hour's drive from Geneva, 20 minutes drive from Vevey. It's OK, we can agree to disagree! :)

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
16. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

For NorthWestLondoner: hey, great! I'm happy to have my misperceptions corrected; and then, on top of that, I get a new destination in CH! I'm going to have a lot of fun investigating Les Paccots! Thanks!

s

London
reviews: 104
17. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Swandav - you should do the gourmet walks in the summer in Les Paccots. Nice walking, nice food! Les Paccots is not a pretty pretty village, but is a place where local peple like to go for easy skiing, gentle walking, and fondues. I particularly like buvette la Saletta, way up high.

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 16
18. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Tam . you may want to pick up a copy of Mark Twain's "A Tram Abroad" -- this book will give you a nice glimpse into various swiss towns and hopefully you will find one you like!

Regarding Brig -- I don't think it's exactly what you are looking for. No lake there either. One nice castle, a good public library and otherwise not exactly a "secret spot" i'd recomment. Then again, from there you could go to Zermatt or elsewhere ...

If you want quaint stuff, try muerren or tips from Rick Steves (e.g Gimmelwald).

Zurich, Switzerland
reviews: 16
19. Re: with a family seeing Switzerland for 2 -3 days would you go...

Typo ... A Tramp not a Tram Abroad.