We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thunder Bay, Canada
reviews: 69
Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

Planning on spending a couple of days in Bern - we'd love to spend one day in the city itself and then would like to hike the "Gantrisch Panoramic Trail". I found the info on the Bern.com site but I'm a bit confused and hope someone can confirm:

1) does the trail run from (approximately) Zollhaus to Schwarzenbühl?

2) how can we get from Bern to the start of the trail? Is there a train/bus? Or can we (should we?) rent a car?

3) is there a company (taxi or tourism) that will pick us up at the end of the trail?

4) alternatively - and even preferred! - is there a guesthouse located near the start/end of the trail? We'd love to stay at one and hope the owners might then assist us with getting to/from the trail??

Many thanks, fellow travellers!

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 11
1. Re: Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

Hi,

I did this hike a couple of years ago - I posted a description here (in French): http://www.hikr.org/tour/post22698.html. I can provide a translation on request.

I did the hike in the opposite direction from what you are suggesting, but both ends are easily accessible by bus.

1) Zollhaus to Obere Gurnigel (or vice versa) would be the normal route. It will take you about 6 hours to do the hike, not including breaks.

2) To get from Bern to Zollhaus, you will need to take a train to Fribourg (frequent service, takes about half an hour), then a bus to Zollhaus (hourly service, takes about 45 minutes). You ca buy a ticket at Bern station that will cover the whole journey. Note: the Fribourg to Zollhaus bus does not give change, so make sure you have the right money on you if you do the walk in the other direction and have to buy a ticket on the bus at Zollhaus. On the bus, you will only be able to buy a ticket to Fribourg, not to Bern.

3) To get back from Gurnigel to Bern, you take a bus down to the railway station at Thurnen (very infrequent, so check the times on www.sbb.ch/en), from where there is a frequent train service to Bern. The Gurnigel bus is a post bus, the driver will give change.

4) There is a guesthouse at the Gurnigelpass, and another one at Obere Gurnigel. At Zollhaus there's only a restaurant, but there is a hotel in Plaffeien (10 minutes away by bus).

Edited: 2:26 pm, April 05, 2012
Thunder Bay, Canada
2. Re: Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

Many thanks for that reply! I tried the link that you provided but it seems inactive....but your information is priceless - thanks!

If any members have stayed at and can recommend a good guesthouse at either end of the trail, please do share! I've had some trouble google-ing the guesthouses as I often just get information on ski conditions - so if you have the name of a specific place, that would be grand.

Also, has anyone done the rope tree-walk that is also located, I believe, in the same national park?? It looks like it involves rope bridges and ziplines? I wonder if is expensive and if it is an all-day or a half-day activity - and exactly how one would get to it by public transit.

Thanks again!

Lucerne, Switzerland
3. Re: Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

<I tried the link that you provided but it seems inactive>

Ah, sorry - the full-stop at the end of my sentence got caught up in the link.... try: http://www.hikr.org/tour/post22698.html

Edited: 3:27 pm, April 09, 2012
Lucerne, Switzerland
4. Re: Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

<if you have the name of a specific place, that would be grand>

At the eastern end: http://www.gurnigel-berghaus.ch/ has dorm beds for 38 CHF and double rooms for 126 CHF. I have not stayed there so can't comment on how good it is.

At the western end, the Landgasthof Hirschen in Plaffeien: http://www.hirschen-plaffeien.ch/ is ten minutes by bus from Zollhaus, and easily accessible from Fribourg for the day before/after. 63 CHF per person. I have stayed there, it's simple but clean and comfortable and the food is good.

You mention a national park... this is not a national park, it's just mountains like most of the country :-)

Thunder Bay, Canada
5. Re: Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

Update - we stayed at the Gurnigel Berghaus which is right on the panoramic trail. The hotel was fantastic - the restaurant had an excellent view and the staff were friendly, welcoming, and helpful. It was also good that the hotel's location saved us a bit of the climb; we arrived there by bus at 9:30 and started our hike by 10am...we are pretty quick hikers but did stop often for photos and some blueberry picking but still did not reach Zollhaus until 3:30...and the only bus returning to Gurnigel Berghaus was at 4pm. The views on the hike were absolutely breathtaking - I would absolutely recommend this hike and this hotel.

6. Re: Gantrisch Panoramic Trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 20, 2013