We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aarhus, Denmark
Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

On next Friday I will travel from Basel to Interlaken by train. I want to stop by Bern in the evening for a little walk and food. I don't want to spend too much time there since I don't want to arrive too late. Is that ok?

Also regarding to transportation, I want to know if I just buy a train ticket from Basel to Interlaken, do I need to reserve separately on both Basel-Bern and Bern-Interlaken? Is that usually crowded?

Thanks.

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
1. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

One hour in Bern is a bit limited... two hours would give you a better feeling for the place and time for a snack.

If you only have one hour, walk from the station to the parliament building and the viewpoint over the river just behind it. Then go east (left when facing the front of the parliament) down any one of the old streets into the old town, and take a different street back up to the station. You won't be able to do more than that in one hour.

You only need one train ticket from Basel to Interlaken, it will be valid on any train for the day of travel. You can get on and off as many times as you want.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
2. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Here is a link to a walking tour of Bern. You can cut this short by not going as far as the Munster or the Bear Park...

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g188052-c127052/Ber…

To allow yourself the maximum time possible, wait to eat till you are back on the train to Interlaken. Buy a picnic in the bern station before you board the train. And check the platform number before you leave the station so you know where to go on your return.

Basingstoke, United...
reviews: 110
3. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Yes - although I agree that 2 hours would be better!

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
reviews: 77
4. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

I think Bern is worth about 1/2 day. Relaxing your way through Bern makes more sense than trying to rush through it.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
5. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Yes but if that is all the time available, and hour walking around Bern is better than staying on the train and riding through it!!

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 32
6. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Could someone please tell me how long it takes to get from Basel to Interlaken by train? I've hit abit of a stumbling block with the last leg of my itinerary. Had planned to go from Cinque Terre to Interlaken but can't work out how to do it, so now think I will fly from Rome to as close to Interlaken as I can get. Any suggestions?

Edited: 10:27 pm, October 19, 2011
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
7. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Cinque Terre to Interlaken is not all that hard:

take a train from la Spezia to Milano centrale.

Change for any train to Brig

Change there for any train to Bern and get off at Spiez

Change there for Interlaken Ost.

You will be going a LOT out of your way if you go from the Cinque Terre to Rome and then to Switzerland. A flight option would be Milan to Zürich and then train to Bern, change for Interlaken Ost. But honestly with all the getting to and from airports, waiting time there and flight time, the train option outlined above via Milan will take about the same time.

Dubai
reviews: 23
8. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Hi everyone,

How much time is needed to visit the rose garden and come back to the train station.

and at what time does the garden opens, does it have any entry fees.

Thanks in advance

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
9. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

You need to take Bus 10 from the station and get off at the "Rosengarten" stop. Then you need time to walk around the park (it is a public park so is "open" whenever... except if you want to see the views better get there in the daylight.) The restaurant there opens at 0900.

The bus stop for Bus 10 is in the street that runs behind the Department Store Loeb. Busses run every 5mins or so and you should be at the Rosengarten in about 10mins. So programme about 90mins and you will have plenty of time to see the garden and the views AND have a coffee.

Should you have more time then walk back to the station. Allow 30mins for this. Go down hill and cross the river on the Nydeggbrücke. The Bear Park will be on your left. Then take the main street up into the city and all the way to the station. (This street changes names several times along the way! )

Kent, England
10. Re: Is bern suitable for a small visit of 1 hour?

Hambagahle as usual gives excellent advice. I would add that if you walk back down the hill from the Rose Garden to the new bear garden the path is very steep.