We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss train bookings necessary?

Which Bern hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 30
Swiss train bookings necessary?

Hiya,

Quick question about Swiss trains - will it be cheaper to book online before I catch the train, or will the price be the same if I buy the ticket at the station on the day? I will need to buy tickets for/on the 24th of December, 25th and 26th if this makes any difference.

Also, I'm planning on going to Jungfraujoch for Christmas Day. My friends and I will be staying in Bern on the 24th and 25th. I understand that the train from Bern to Jungfraujoch goes through Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen and Kleine Scheidegg.

Lauterbrunnen looks absolutely gorgeous and I'd love to have a look around it in the snow. If I buy a ticket on the morning of Christmas Day from Bern to Jungfraujoch, are the ticket times definite (ie do I have to get specific trains at set times), or are we able to look around Lauterbrunnen for say, an hour, before getting on the train to Kleine Scheidegg?

Hope all that made sense!

Thanks heaps :)

Southport UK
1. Re: Swiss train bookings necessary?

Buy your tickets just before you wish to travel they will be the same price.

Before you buy your ticket for the Jungrfraujoch check what the weather is like. If it's not clear it's not worth spending all the money.

You can break you journey on the way. You will have to change at Interlaken Ost, Lauterbrunnen, and Kleine Scheidegg anyway and coming down you could come via Gridelwald and thence to lauterbrunnen etc.

Gibel

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 40
2. Re: Swiss train bookings necessary?

It may be worth your while buying the Swiss Half Fare Card at 99SFr valid for a month it would ideal for a short visit like yours and would more than pay for itself. The half fare Card can be purchased from the railway offices at the airports and major rail stations. When you buy your tickets for your excursions from a staffed office you present your card or use the half fare option from the automatic machines. The half fare card can be used for buying tickets on all forms of public transport.

Edited: 3:21 pm, November 20, 2010
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
3. Re: Swiss train bookings necessary?

You might also want to think about getting off in Wengen and walking around a bit...experiencing a car-free village, in the snow, would be quite something for you.

Lauterbrunnen stretches out along the Cantonale road and you can walk from one end to the other in around 15 minutes. Wengen is more interesting since you can meander through the little back streets and there are some not-too-bad cafés and restaurants there. Nothing at Kleine Scheidegg except a very old hotel, which has a lot of atmosphere.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 40
4. Re: Swiss train bookings necessary?

Kleine Scheidegg is quite good fun in the winter it is very busy with all the skiers and there is a very good outdoor 'Tee Pee' bar nearby there is a large football style terrace where you can sit and soak up the views and atmosphere.

5. Re: Swiss train bookings necessary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 21, 2011