We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best reasonably prices restaurants

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
Best reasonably prices restaurants

We will be in Basel for two evenings the beginning of next month. Looking at the top restaurants in Basel on Trip Advisor, they are all quite expensive (by US standards) and look more like special occasion spots rather than just having great food and offering more casual dining. Any suggestions and should we make reservations? We will be there over a weekend. Thanks!

Canada
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
57 reviews
1. Re: Best reasonably prices restaurants

All restaurants in Switzerland are expensive by US standards, a big mac meal is 12 Chf so let that be your judge. No need to make rez. Ask the concierege for advise. They have a lot of info at their finger tips.

Atlanta, Georgia
8 posts
2. Re: Best reasonably prices restaurants

Thank you @mathladyca49 for the info. Yes, I know Switzerland is very expensive and I will ask the concierge. I feel certain that we can find a good meal without spending between 45 - 90 CHF on an entree. We just need to know where the locals go.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
15,050 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Best reasonably prices restaurants

Yes, you certainly can but also remember that the tip is included on all Swiss menus so the price you see is the price you pay. Hopefully, maetzli or taksidiotis will be on soon and they can certainly point you in the right direction.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Best reasonably prices restaurants

Schnabel, Fischerstube, Kraft, papiermuhle, Atlantis, Brotli bar, Braunenmutz, gifthuttli

Safranzunft and Schlusselzunft.

Goldenen Sternen and Lallekonig

Zum Isaac and namamen.

I just put here, the ones I know and go, with different styles cuisine.

http://www.basel-restaurants.ch/english/

As KM said, In Switzerland tip is included, so DO NOT add 15% or whatever. You can round up the bill, if you want.

It is cheaper to have lunch than dinner.

I had a look at TAs list and except a couple that have ten Michelin stars and thousands Gault Millai points, I do not know any of the others. How do they get on lists?

Edited: 12:21 pm, October 28, 2013
5. Re: Best reasonably prices restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, October 30, 2014