We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasting the alps from Basel

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jerusalem, Israel
Tasting the alps from Basel

We have 3 days - going out from Basel at Sunday and getting back Tuesday night - to make a nice trip to the alps. I understand October is not ideal, but that's what we have... I will be grateful for any ideas - we prefer to find a place for these 2 nights and travel from there. We would be happy also to meet something which is not only touristic.

One option is to take some hotel near Thun lake - and from there to explore the Lauterbrunnen area, which I understand is very classic alpine - hoping the weather will be good enough, and If not, we can hop to Bern or Lucerne. Is that a good Idea?

And is the weather on Geneve lake better in this time of the year? Should we aim there - and even taste the French alps?

6 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
1. Re: Tasting the alps from Basel

Hi there,

I'd indeed opt for Lauterbrunnen or Wengen themselves as they have the vistas; Thun-Spiez-Interlaken often are just too low to have vistas into the high Alps. And if weather is bad move on to e.g. Lucerne/Engelberg area or a bit more south to Montreux area or Zermatt.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Jerusalem, Israel
2. Re: Tasting the alps from Basel

If our hotel is on Thun lake (Krattingen) - is it not very close enough to lauterbrunen to spend our days there?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
reviews: 131
3. Re: Tasting the alps from Basel

Hi again,

Yes it is but it would mean you can only see the high Alps during the day trip. Krattingen being on the south shore has lovely views but only maybe 10 km south into the lower Alps there, whilst from Lauterbrunnen plateau on a clear day you can easily look 40-50 km away into the high Alps.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Jerusalem, Israel
4. Re: Tasting the alps from Basel

Many thanks!

Lucerne, Switzerland
reviews: 12
5. Re: Tasting the alps from Basel

Another good option would be the central Swiss Alps. Engelberg would be a very nice base for a couple of nights, with good views from the village itself, and plenty of cable cars to get up higher.

Wisconsin
reviews: 13
6. Re: Tasting the alps from Basel

I will be in Basel first week in November. Any chance of doing any hiking? Weather will be cool/cold but will there be snow?

Reply to: Tasting the alps from Basel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Basel