We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
reviews: 8
Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

I will be flying into Basel-Mulhouse and going up to Karlsruhe. Is is possible to buy a Baden-Württemberg Ticket in Basel SBB station?. And where do you validate it if is?

I know it is only valid for local trains and involves a change (I've done the journey in reverse with the ticket in the past) but I don't want to book an EC/ICE and worry in case the plane is late

24 replies to this topic
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
1. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Hi Lynda, hm, good question, I can't tell if there are DB ticket machines at Basel SBB - but you can buy the ticket online and print it at home before you leave, that's probably the easiest way: bahn.de/regional/…

A standard fare ICE ticket, by the way, is valid on any ICE on that day and the following and gives you full flexibility. Saves an hour travel time.

(You are coming to Karlsruhe again...?)

Hamburg, Germany
Destination Expert
for Hamburg
reviews: 15
2. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

If online booking is not an option, though most probably the simplest idea:

personally not sure if you can book it at the SBB station (definitely never seen a DB ticket machine there but not sure if you can buy it at the counter etc.) but looking at bahn.de you have to go via Basel Bad anyway, you definitely can get it there.

Edited: 12:58 pm, September 15, 2013
Freiburg im...
3. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

The BW ticket is available from ticket machines at the SBB station. But most regional trains towards Germany are leaving from Basel Badischer BF (German station). To get there take tram No.2 frome the SBB station.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
4. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

As far as I know the tickets issued by the swiss are MORE EXPENSIVE than the ones directly bought at Badischer Bahnhof from the german railways.

So, from the Airport take bus no. 50, Change at the railway Station to tram no. 2 (final Station Egisee), leave at Badischer Bahnhof, buy your ticket there and hop on the next train to Karlsruhe.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 36
5. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

A BW ticket can be bought from any SBB ticket machine in Switzerland

You validate it yourself by writing your name on the ticket.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
6. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Thanks everyone, plans had changed and I was going to Strasbourg first (direct from the airport) but now it's back to going to Karlsruhe so, following on from your replies, my question now is: is the ticket more expensive in the machines at Basel SBB?

I will be getting bus from the airport to SBB; I know regional trains going to Offenburg (where I have to change probably) leave from there because my son does the route regularly (I've only done it in reverse, once)

And you don't have to validate it by clicking in a machine? In Germany you have to validate a Länder-Ticket in a machine AND write your name on it

Edited: 3:46 pm, October 23, 2013
Karlsruhe, Germany
Destination Expert
for Baden-Wurttemberg
7. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Lyn,a s I said in the first post - buy the ticket online in advance, print it at home, and be done with the problem.

>In Germany you have to validate a Länder-Ticket in a machine

Not necessarily. Only those bought from Verkehrsverbund ticket machines. Those from DB ticket machines have the date already printed on them, and all you have to do is write your name.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
8. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Thanks Blandine, I have problems with the printer at home which is why I was hesitating but in the end I have booked online and managed to print off. I've seen on bahn.de that time is really tight to catch the train (assuming we land a bit early too) so having the ticket already will be a definite advantage . And yes, in that case it will involve change at Basel Bad.).

Pennsylvania
9. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Hi. Reading your answer to Lynda about taking the train to Karlshrue from Basel, I'm wondering if my trip would be similar. I would be docking in Basel from a Viking cruise and am not sure yet if they would be transferring me to the airport, but if they did, I need to get to the rail station heading to Germany. I'm not sure yet of my final destination. Possibly Stuttgart, possibly Ulm. So, if I understand correctly, I need to take a bus to the SBB station, and then a tram to the Basel Badischer station? My plans are still being made. I just like to know what I'm facing as early as possible. Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 16
10. Re: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?

Both stations are easily accessible by tram. And easy to go to.

You might be leaving from either one, this you will see on your ticket.

If it says Basel SBB, then it is tram 8 to there. If it says Basel Bad, then it is the Badischer Bahnfof, you will have to change to tram 2, as Mätzli says.

Reply to: Can you buy a Baden-Württemberg-Ticket in Basel SBB?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Basel