We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River cruise docks in Basel....

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corpus Christi, TX
reviews: 59
River cruise docks in Basel....

I am taking a river cruise that begins in Basel. Where exactly are the docks located? I will be picked up at the airport and taken to the boat but I like to know where I am going.

Also , this cruise takes place in November. What kind of weather am I likely to encounter in Basel?

Thank you very much.

Jane

27 replies to this topic
Corpus Christi, TX
reviews: 59
11. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Thank you for that information about the taxis, Maetzli.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
12. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

You are welcome!

Los Angeles...
13. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

what about a shuttle going directly from the airport to Dreilandereck? Is there a shuttle and if so, how much is it?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
14. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Not that anyone has ever mentioned. I suppose your cruise company would know best on this but there are way too many questions on here about how to get from the docks to the station or airport for me to think that the companies provide any transportation.

Los Angeles...
15. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

do any hotels near Dreilandereck offer shuttle service from the airport?

Los Angeles...
reviews: 168
16. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Hi. Taking Viking river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel. Can anyone tell me the approximate time of docking in Basel at the end of the cruise?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 8
17. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Yes, your cruise company can tell you! Without knowing when, etc,, we really would not be able to help.

Airport shuttles are not so common in Europe as they are in the US and there aren't any In Basel that I know of that do an airport shuttle.

Edited: 3:56 pm, August 18, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
18. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Hi,

The actual berth assignments can be seen here:

dreilaendereck.ch/en/…fahrgastschifffahrt.php

you get thrown onto a german page, unfortunately. Check the file(s) under "aktuelle Steigerbelegungspläne".

Usually the month is not ready until a few days before it actually starts, but plans don't usually change over months. You get a downloadable file that list all info about all ships and where they are berthing.

There are basically three berthing sites:

1. St. Johann - You win. Beautiful place, right near the city centre

2. Dreyländereck - You don't really win. Where Germany, France and Switzerland meet. Only few ships berth there.

3. Platform Klybeck - You lose. South of 2, but basically along an industry site. Noone goes there unless he works there.

If your ship ends at 1, you are within walking distance of "Schifflände" which is the centre of the town. Take the airport bus 50 to the train station and tram 8 to Schifflände. (There are shorter ways but more complicated).

If your ship ends at 3, tram 8 gets you into the town and to the swiss/french railway station for the airport bus (there are much shorter ways but again much more complicated). Bus 36 gets you to the german DB train station (which lies within Switzerland incidentally). To get to the tram/bus, walk north along the Rhine then west along the smaller river, about 600-700 meters in total. (City is 1 Zone ticket, airport is 2 Zone ticket). You do not need a ticket if your hotel reservation has a "mobility pass" stamp.

Edited: 5:43 pm, August 30, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
19. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Sorry, last post should say "walk east", otherwise you get wet feet...

Williamsburg...
reviews: 22
20. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

My river cruise will be leaving from St. Johann. After taking tram 8 to Schifflande how do I get to the pier?

Thanks for all the help on these forums.

Reply to: River cruise docks in Basel....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Basel