We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

River cruise docks in Basel....

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Corpus Christi, TX
reviews: 59
River cruise docks in Basel....

I am taking a river cruise that begins in Basel. Where exactly are the docks located? I will be picked up at the airport and taken to the boat but I like to know where I am going.

Also , this cruise takes place in November. What kind of weather am I likely to encounter in Basel?

Thank you very much.

Jane

27 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Hi, our Basel folks are just getting up but I can give you some information. Weather will be quite cool and damp, you could encounter snow but it is unlikely to stick. November is the end of Autumn. Dress in layers as there can be days when it is warmer!

The docks are, of course, on the river and there's more than one. If you google your cruise line and dock in Basel, you may be able to get a map. I think Viking may have a map on their website.

Hope this helps.

Canada
reviews: 48
2. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

You did not say which company you were cruising with, But Viking usually docks at Dreilandereck but in my documents they indicate it may be at Klybeckdock.

Most taxi drivers would know which dock the ship is at. You will not know which dock until the day of. If you are making your own transfer arrangements, I would assume that if it is not at one dock then you go to the other . They recommend not dismissing the taxi until you know the ship is there. They also supplied a list of all their ship telephone numbers.

Corpus Christi, TX
3. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Going on Grand Circle ship. I'm getting picked up at airport

But really like to know where I'm going ---just in case. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
4. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Take a look at the map of Basel online and find the point in the river where the three (Swiss, German and French) border meet, go along the river and the cruise docks are on the Basel side along there. I don't know the exact location of any of them but I can assure you that a taxi or shuttle driver will know particularly if you can tell them the name of the boat - have it written down on a separate piece of paper to give to them.

Are you concerned that you might run into a dishonest transfer driver and be taken elsewhere? If so, tell whoever made your transfer arrangements that you are not comfortable being alone in the car with a driver. See if they have someone else arriving who could wait for you or you for them.

Also if you go to the Google maps website and put in Europort Basel and then Dreilandereck, Basel, you can print off a map and point by point directions to follow along as you drive. I think most river cruises dock right in this area.

Hope this helps.

Corpus Christi, TX
5. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Thanks,kellysmom. I'm concerned about no one meeting me at the airport and having to take a taxi. Your suggestion about writing down the name of the boat is a good one and that's what I will do. I like to have contingency plans.....:)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
6. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Hi, if no one meets you, indeed, write down the name of the boat - most taxi drivers speak at least some English. However, it would be a lot less expensive to take the bus from the airport to the main train station and then take a taxi to the dock. We're talking maybe as much as $100 less!

Hope this helps.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
7. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

The dock is closer to the airport than to the railway station. The taxi will be able to do a shortcut via Dreirosen Bridge (see map) on the motorway. The taxi trip is around 50 USD.

Public Transport: Bus no. 50 and then tram no. 8 to Kleinhüningen. But afterwards there is a 10 minutes walk involved.

Corpus Christi, TX
8. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

Thank you. Are there prepaid taxi kiosks at the airport?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
9. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

This shortcut I did not know! Thanks, Maetzli. So it would be a bit less to take the bus to the station and then a taxi from the station but not all that much!

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
10. Re: River cruise docks in Basel....

No, ther are no prepaid taxis. Reliable companies are those with the figures 33 33 33 or 44 44 44 on the roof.

A taxi from the airport directly to the docks may be cheaper via Dreirosen Bridge. From the railway station the taxi has to drive through the city with many red lights in narrow streets and increasing costs.

Reply to: River cruise docks in Basel....
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted