We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
L.A.
reviews: 15
How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

We fly out of Basel at 6:25 am on a Sunday.

What time should we get to the airport? Flying Lufthansa Business Class. Lufthansa says 2 hours before, but their check-in counter is not even open at 4:25 am.

Thanks, cb

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

If your flight is within Europe, an hour should be plenty of time but I wouldn't cut it any closer and I would check in on line the evening before. Two hours is the sort of stock answer for when to be at the airport.

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 21
2. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

We left at the same time from Basel-Frankfurt a few weeks ago. We had the taxi pick us up at 4am. Not sure exactly what time we arrived but it wasn't any later than 430 I think. We checked in right away. We were directed to the Swiss Air counter to do check in.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
3. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

90 minutes before is more than enough at this time of the week and of the day.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
4. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

Lufthansa owns Swiss so it would make sense that check-in would be at the Swiss counter. Basel Mulhouse is a small airport and easy to navigate. Take Maetzli's advice as he lives in Basel and uses the airport so has great knowledge.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
5. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

I use it 10 times a year.

On a Sunday morning both the Airport AND the streets will be completely empty.

This said: calculate a maximum of 15 minutes from the city to the Airport by taxi. The bus no. 50 from the railway Station to the Airport has 17 minutes. First bus on Sunday as early as 04.55. Much cheaper than a taxi (or free if you stay at a Basel Hotel)

Check-in is a 100 Yards from the taxi /Bus stop. There will be almost no queing for check-in, nor for the security check and passport control.

So, 90 minutes is really more than enough for a Sunday morning.

Edited: 4:21 am, August 29, 2013
High Wycombe...
reviews: 1
6. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

Does this answer (90 minutes is enough time) apply to a flight from Basel to Frankfurt and then on to

Washington DC when travelling with a dog that will go into the cargo dept. Our flight leaves at 8 am Sunday morning (tomorrow). What time does the ticket counter open?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
7. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

No. It takes longer to check in when you have an animal involved. When I pick up a puppy to bring to Alaska, it takes an extra 1/2 hour at the airport to bring them as hold baggage. If, however, you will have already taken the dog to cargo and just need to check in yourselves, I would make it two hours as you are connecting to a flight to the US and flights to the US have different rules re security, etc. It's much better to be early by a bit than to have them close check in and miss your plane particularly if the dog has been shipped as cargo and will go ahead of you.

Given the well being of an animal is at risk here, I would call the airline and ask them when to arrive.

Hope this helps.

8. Re: How Many Hours Before Flight to Check In

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, November 18, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Basel