We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel for one day on a Sunday

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Georgia
reviews: 3
Basel for one day on a Sunday

I will be arriving in Basel train station around 12 noon on a Sunday the 15 September. I will have to make it to my hotel which is the Courtyard Marriott in Pratteln. From there I would like to go into the city center and spend the rest of the day just enjoying the sights. What would be the best way to do this? I am assuming the tram system could take me to where I need to go. What tram would be the one that I should be looking for? Once into the city center I would also like to go to a restaurant that would have some outdoor seating where we could have a beer and watch the world go by. Any suggestions? Would also like to climb to the top of the cathedral and be able to see three countries at once. Will there be enough time to do all of this? Should I purchase a one day tram pass? Wish I had more time, but we have to take the train to Murren the following day.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Louis

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
1. Re: Basel for one day on a Sunday

Hi Louis

Welcome to Basel. From Pratteln you will take tra no. 14 to the Marktplatz, which is the Center.: on either side there is situated on two hills the wonderful old city center. (one of the biggest in Switzerland).

My Suggestion: visit the huge red Town Hall and (on the other side of the place) slip through Sattelgasse, Schneidergasse to a very narrow lane IMBERGÄSSLEIN up to Nadelberg, turn left walk down a few meters in Spalenberg and enter the - Gemsberg , where you find well preserved houses in different styles from all centuries, beginning in the 13th. On the upper end of Gemsberg turn right into Heuberg and walk 300 yards to a place called Lyss. There you will see in some distance the mighty Spalentor built in 1490.

Go back to the the Marktplatz and use the stair left of the town hall. Walk through Martinsgasse and Augustinergasse the the cathedral. You must be at least two people to clib the towers, as often single people comited suicide and juped off the towers. If not: You will see all three countries fro the terrace behind the cathedral.

Every house has it's own colourful history. Emperors and Kings stood here, a pope was crowned , the plague and wars hit the city, and an earthquake destroyed it in 1356. a.s.o.

Have fun.

Edited: 8:23 am, August 27, 2013
Canada
reviews: 56
2. Re: Basel for one day on a Sunday

Tram passes are free from your hotel for anyone staying overnight. Basel tourism has 5 self- guided walks of the old town that are well signed plus I believe you can rent an app guide from the tourist office

Edited: 10:22 am, August 27, 2013
Basel / Switzerland
3. Re: Basel for one day on a Sunday

Pratteln is Canton of Basel Land, and not Basel. That is anothere"state", since there was the civil war in 1833 :-)

The pass is only for Hotels in Basel, I think.

well. a tra day pass does not cost a fortune, and the ticket machine has an "english" button.

Edited: 10:56 am, August 27, 2013
Georgia
reviews: 3
4. Re: Basel for one day on a Sunday

Thank you much for the replies. It looks like I will be busy in Basel for the day. Thanks again.

Louis

Basel / Switzerland
5. Re: Basel for one day on a Sunday

You are welcome

6. Re: Basel for one day on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 30, 2014