We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel in 1/2 of a Day

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
L.A.
reviews: 10
Basel in 1/2 of a Day

We will arrive in Basel late Saturday morning, check into the Airport Hotel and fly out the next morning at 6:25 am. So we will have 1/2 of a day.

I think we will just want to walk around and get a feel for the city.

Best place to start?

Lunch or snack in a cafe?

Cute local shops - not name-brand expensive designers?

Light dinner - maybe in another cafe?

Thanks for your ideas,

cb

5 replies to this topic
Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
1. Re: Basel in 1/2 of a Day

The airport is not that near the town and not connected to the rail system. You will need to take bus 50 from the SBB station to the airport, and then come back to town. Probably better to check your bags in a locker at the station, then explore the town, and go to the airport after dinner in the evening to check into the hotel.

For a short sightseeing walk around the historic centre of Basel (which is really superb!) see this post by Maetzli:

tripadvisor.com/…37811992

There are a lot of restaurants in Basel. My two favourites are the Goldener Sternen, down by the river (Skt Alban's Rheinquai I believe...) and the Schlüsselzunft on the Markt gasse. Both are old Guild Houses. But you will have an enormous choice.

I am not really into "cute" shops so except to say that there is a very nice Heimatwerk shop in Basel (Swiss handicrafts) and one really amazing hat shop near the Bärfusserplatz I can't help. Basel also has a huge number of museums - over 40. And you might want to incorporate one into your day. See www.basel-tourismus.ch for details. This is the tourist office site and also has a search engine for restaurants...

L.A.
2. Re: Basel in 1/2 of a Day

OOPS - looks like we have to rethink it. I assumed staying at the Airport Hotel was best and we could take a tram or train easily into town.

More details: We arrive Saturday morning on a river cruise ship at Basel Dock Steiger 3, Dreiländereck

Westquaistrasse 61 CH-4057 Basel, Switzerland.

We can take their shuttle to the airport or we can take a taxi from the ship to a hotel in Basel near where would be walking.

Then we would take a taxi from the hotel to the airport Sunday morning to catch the 6:25 am flight.

Does that sound like a better plan?

Thanks, cb

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 113
3. Re: Basel in 1/2 of a Day

Do you mean you are going to stay IN Basel rather than at the airport? You won't have a problem getting a taxi early in the am if you pre book one the night before through the hotel but taxis here are very expensive. If I were you I would stay at the airport so you are right there at 5am when you will need to check in!

If you take a taxi from the ship to the Basel SBB station you can leave your bags in lockers there for the day. Perfectly safe and cost around 6-10frs for a large locker. Then you would be free to explore the city unencumbered. Then when you are ready to go to the airport go back to Basel SBB station, get your bags and get the bus 50 from right outside the station. They run roughly every 20mins. You could take a day pass on the buses and trams so you can move easily around the town and also get to the airport at the end. The day card costs 9frs and includes the bus to the airport.

If on the other hand you plan to stay IN town, as you indicated above, then your hotel will give you a "Mobility ticket" which is like the day card above... but to get to the airport by around 0500 you might have to take that taxi!!

L.A.
4. Re: Basel in 1/2 of a Day

Mixing Plans A and B gives us Plan C:

We prefer not to take luggage on the bus.

Free shuttle from cruise dock to the airport, hotel shuttle to the hotel and check in.

Hotel shuttle back to the airport, bus 50 to train station, bus ?? to where your walk starts.

Then, back to hotel.

Sounds good?

Many thanks, cb

L.A.
5. Re: Basel in 1/2 of a Day

Update:

My Airport Hotel literature says that bus 50 stops at the hotel, so there will not be as many hotel shuttle trips to and from the airport.

cb

Reply to: Basel in 1/2 of a Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted