We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rancho Palos v
reviews: 2
Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

I'm going on a Christmas Markets cruise and will be in Basel for 3 days 7-10 December. Our time there is very open and I was looking into going to Colmar for their markets and to see the gem of a town, since it's not on the cruise itinerary... In my online search I found the Colmar Christmas markets brochure from last year and it mentioned the Alsa+ 24 hour pass - it's such a great deal for my day trip from Basel. It's only 20 euros for Haut-Rhin, which is the only area I need, not the entire Alsace region. (33euros).

My main question is: can I easily buy the pass at the Basel Hauptbahnhof? From what I've tried to decipher, it is. Google translate only goes so far! The price of the SBB ticket to Colmar is more expensive and this includes all public transportation in the cities.

Thank you for your help!

Jane

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 18
1. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Could you please send the link you found that?

I have personally no idea, but I can look it out for you.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 119
2. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Search as I did I could not find this "Alsa+" 24hr pass... but presumably you would buy it from the SNCF? Their "sector" at the Basel SBB station (there is no "hauptbahnhof" in Basel...) is usually deserted and I don't recall seeing a ticket office BUT if you just take the local bus to St Louis, in France, you can certainly get your ticket at the SNCF station there. Their ticket office is open M-F from 0745 to 1930. Hours on weekends are different. Here is a link to that station:

ter-sncf.com/Region/alsace/gare/St-Louis.aspx

Rancho Palos v
3. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

I found it here: http://www.vialsace.eu and first saw in mentioned in the pdf documents here: http://www.noel-colmar.com/en/ and that got me searching.

Then of course this morning I found more in English here: www.vialsace.eu/ftp/EN_documents/tim_en.swf

Bale SNCF is included in the pass, so I'm sure I can get it there. I'd get the Haut-Rhin since my focus is Basel to Colmar for the Christmas markets. This seems to be something new, but VERY useful for a daytripper without any rail pass! The weekend version is great for 2-5 people who can travel on one pass.

What I really like is that all public transportation in the Haut-Rhin is included, as well as the special Christmas shuttles between the towns around Colmar with great markets.

I just wasn't sure how things are handled at the Basel SBB - as long as there's a SNCF sector I'm hoping it'll be easy to buy in Euros from a ticket machine.

Thank you both! (sorry about assuming it was a hauptbahnhof... guess I figured all main train stations were called that...)

Jane

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
4. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Tell you what, I am Tuesday at the station, I know where the ticket machine is, I will go and have a look.

You were right about the Hauptbahnof, it is Basel SBB main station and Basel SNCF shares the same building.

You will love Basel Christmas market and the one in Colmar. Two tips: go with an empty belly and leave most of your money at home :)

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 119
5. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Tak - you will do all of us a great service if you can:

a) determine if there is a ticket office at the SNCF side of the SBB station or not... and

b) if there are ticket machines there

If both answers are no - then St Louis is the place to go!

Enjoy your research... Mrs H

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
6. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

there is a ticket machine, as for the rest, as you said there is never somebody there anyways. la station fantôme

:)

I will make a photo of the machine, then maybe ee can decipher it ....

Edited: 2:58 pm, June 09, 2013
Rancho Palos v
7. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Thank you Tak and Mrs. H!!! Tak - you are a gem checking out the Basel SBB for me! I'm surprised that more people don't know about this great regional deal.

I just saw an online video of a woman buying her Alsa+ from a ticket machine. As long as there's a ticket machine, it'll be easier than getting to St Louis since my time is limited. This pass looks like such a great deal! I was going to hop a train to Lucerne for the day, but the price of the ticket was expensive. Then I realized that Colmar has amazing markets and it's closer. Why not?!?! The cruise will go to Kayserberg and Strasbourg. I've

And I agree with you about leaving money behind, I am a Christmas ornament junkie... and I'm looking forward to Glüwein and other goodies at the markets - oh yeah! Plus, I will be taking tons of pictures... keeps me from buying too much. Things that are hard to bring back to Los Angeles make great pictures!

:)

Jane

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
8. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

..... I am a Christmas ornament junkie...

oh!

Leave ALL your money behing :)

If you say a strange old lady going around mattering to herself: now, don't buy anything, come on, you can do this, do not buy anything, how much is this please?

That will be me.

it is nothing for me to check the machine at the station, i am there anyways, no problem.

The problem for all is that there is never anyone there (in the french side) , which is strange to say the least, it is a big, well used station for SNCF.

Ottawa, Ontario
reviews: 21
9. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

I'm actually really interested in this as well. I wonder if its available at times other than Christmas. It would be the perfect way for us (family of 5) to get from Basel to Colmar for our day touring the wine route.

Rancho Palos v
10. Re: Alsa+ 24 - transport pass for Alsace

Tak - LOL - that's me too!!!

casperjj - it looks like it's available all the time and the weekend version is good for your entire family - one pass for 2-5 people!! It's just that I first saw it on the Colmar christmas market site and that's the focus of my upcoming trip.

Jane

Get answers to your questions about Basel