We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Basel how many days/nights?

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
reviews: 64
Basel how many days/nights?

Hi there brains trust.

it is always difficult deciding on how long to stay in a place when you have never been there. It is also difficult advising others like me on how long to stay there when you don't know what my interests are.

I will be travelling from the French Alps (Annecy) to Basel by train before heading onto the Rhine region of Germany. I have been told that Basel is a beautiful place so I plan to stay there.

I would like to know whether I would see the main attractions of Basel in 3 nights/2 days or should I spend longer there say 3 nights/4days?

We will have done enough mountain scenery in the French Alps so we won't want to do any day trips to the Alps from Basel. We will also be doing a lot of river scenery along the German part of the Rhine River. So I guess I just want to see what Basel itself has to offer.

Thanks for your help.

Sydney
11. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

Thanks again Julien. Does anyone have a recommendation for a pretty area about 15-20 mins out by public transport to Basel that I could stay in given that Basel centre accommodation is pretty much booked out?

thanks heaps.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 28
12. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

Hi again,

Please don't rely on the mass-booking website to tell you that a hotel is booked out. Just go to each hotel's website and try there. Many hotels keep a few rooms in reserve for their own distribution, and sometimes they get cancellations that are not reflected in the other websites.

And even if the hotel's own website shows that it is booked out, you can sometimes get a room by sending a personal email.

I know it seems like more work than just using a booking site, but it's worthwhile if you get the hotel you want!

s

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 20
13. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

ok, try first

www.basel.com

then try

www.booking.com

here are still hotels available.

Book the gotthard, everyone who stayed there says it is very good indeed

Tak

PS: I just saw the prices.

Try not to faint. I will go later to the Youth hostel and ask if tehy have rooms.

That is pretty nice too.

Edited: 3:02 am, December 19, 2012
Sydney
14. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

thanks Tak and Swandav,

I really appreciate your help here.

I agree there may be a few rooms left but they are the extremely expensive ones in the order of $300US/night minimum which I can't afford. My maximum is $150-200.

Maybe if I just stay a little out of the city close to public transport and try for a B&B might be best. The problem is finding the right town that has good transport. connections. So any suggestions on the choice of town would be excellent.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
15. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

Yes, I got scared too with the prices.

Have a look here

http://www.basel.com/en/search/hotels/2013-06-12_0_3_1_2?f[0]=facet_serviceProviderTouristicTypeFacets%3ATDS00020010011658402

These are all near Basel

Let us if you found anything, else we will keep searching.

Goodnight

Tak

Edited: 5:54 pm, December 19, 2012
Leicester, United...
reviews: 63
16. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

There may be something special happening on your dates**. A hotel I've used before is fully booked 10 - 16 June but has availabilty for the rest of June.

** There are a number of trade fairs taking place.

Victoria, Canada
17. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

Perhaps you could try just across the border in St Louis, Alsace, France.

Prices tend to be lower and you might be able to take public transport into Basel, depending on the hotel's location.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
18. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

Can't you postpone your stay for some days later? Prices during ART FAIR are horrible.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
19. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

the BnBs I found in teh basel.com site and send to the OP above, are pretty reasonable and in Basel.

and the art fair is not to miss, with all teh happenings in town, I think.

Sydney
20. Re: Basel how many days/nights?

thank for all the great suggestions. Just to clarify:

1. No we are unable to change the dates as we have locked in flights.

2. Will look at St Louis option thanks

3. We will look at Lorrach (Germany) option as well.