We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing trains at Basel station

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Buenos Aires...
reviews: 8
Changing trains at Basel station

Hi everybody!

We are about to get the tickets from Berlin to Interlaken, Switzerland. We d like to know how long would you spare between the arriving train in Basel and the other one which leaves for Interlaken. The website suggests five minutes but Im afraid it is not enough...

12 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

Five minutes is enough when you are able to leave the arriving train with all your luggage and go directly at a fairly fast walking pace to the next train. I would allow more if you can - you don't need a reservation on Swiss trains and your ticket is good for any train on the same day. There are trains from Basel to Interlaken about every half hour.

The station in Basel has shops and restaurants so you can easily pass time there.

Hope this helps.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 16
2. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

There are two rail stations in Basel, ok three, but two that concern you.

If your ticket from Berlin is to Basel, Badischer Bahnof, you will need at least 30 minutes, maybe more till you figure out where the tram stations etc are.

If your ticket says Basel SBB, then five to ten minutes, you only will need to change platforms.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
reviews: 2
3. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

>If your ticket from Berlin is to Basel, Badischer Bahnof, you will need at least 30 minutes, maybe more till you figure out where the tram stations etc are.

Hi Tak,

all long distance trains from Germany stopping in Badischer Bahnhof will follow through to Basel SBB - only the local ones terminate at Basel Bad. Bf. If the OP comes from Berlin his/her train will follow through to SBB.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
4. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

yes the train will, but will she/he?

It depends to where your ticket is to.

Oftentimes, tickets on offer are only to badischer bahnof. You will need a three francs ticket (or something but you will need it) to go to Basel SBB on teh same train.

Southport, United...
5. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

The SBB timetable will give the platform (Gleis) numbers. They may well be adjoining ones. If they are 5 minutes will be plenty. There appears to be a train a dayfrom Berlin that actually continues to Interlaken so no changes necessary.

Buenos Aires...
reviews: 8
6. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

Thanks a lot!! Very helpful comments!

Surabaya
reviews: 9
7. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

This question is very interesting for me as I will need to change train at Basel too: local train from Lucerne to TGV at Basel

Do trains from Lucerne and TGV to Paris stop in platforms close to each other or will I have to cross the station to the other end or something like that?

The SBB website does not mention this.

If the two platforms are close, I'd have plenty of time to look around the station

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
8. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

you can find all info at the sbb.ch site.

put your destinations separately and the plattfoprm numbers are there

if you take direct train (TGV) to Paris then the platforms are very near to each other, max. 10 min. walk. If you go through teh french section (markt gleis 31...) at the sbb.ch site, then your walk will be around 20 min.

Canberra
9. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

Hi, was 5 minutes enough to connect? I am arriving Basel from Paris on 10 Jan at 11:26 am and my train for Interlaken leaves at 11:31. I don't know how far the arriving and departing platforms are from each other.

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
10. Re: Changing trains at Basel station

The Train from paris arrives normally at Plattorm 8 and teh one for Interlaken leaves form 7. If this will be that case then, provided that the Paris train arrives on time, you move fast and can disembark fast it would be narrow but you will make it. But don't worry, worst case, you can get the next one, which leaves at 11:59

Reply to: Changing trains at Basel station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted