We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rhine river cruises

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Rhine river cruises

Has anyone been on the river cruise ships? Amsterdam - Lucerne. Which is the finest? Details, please.

15 replies to this topic
Schwyz, Switzerland
reviews: 265
1. Re: Rhine river cruises

Hi jkimmel49

There are no river cruise ships going to Lucerne.

To Amsterdam you go from Basel on the Rhein river

Some people travel with Viking

vikingrivercruises.com/regions/…index.aspx

others travel with Avalon

avalonwaterways.com/Cruise-Vacations/…

I never went on a river cruise, just saw the ships

mum47

Belvidere, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Family Travel
reviews: 68
2. Re: Rhine river cruises

I am taking a Viking river cruise Oct. 21st from Basel to Amsterdam. The river cruise ships are small - generally less than 200 people. The cabins are very nice and the food, tours, and wine are included. Viking is very popular as are Tauck, Avalaon, and Ama Waterways.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
3. Re: Rhine river cruises

I would like once to do it and I also have a question: how are the windows of the cabins? can you open them? wide? (I hate air conditioners)

Is there a small balcony (I do not see any, from the shps passing, but thought I will ask).

I appreciate any help you coudl give me ctribbs.

thank you very much

Tak

Basel, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 16
4. Re: Rhine river cruises

I would like once to do it and I also have a question: how are the windows of the cabins? can you open them? wide? (I hate air conditioners)

Is there a small balcony (I do not see any, from the shps passing, but thought I will ask).

I appreciate any help you coudl give me ctribbs.

thank you very much

Tak

missouri
reviews: 15
5. Re: Rhine river cruises

If you choose a french balcony cabin..you will have sliding glass doors to open..you don't acutally walk out onto a balcony but can stand in your room and watch the beautiful scenery pass by. Have a great time!

Ooltewah, Tennessee
reviews: 18
6. Re: Rhine river cruises

Short ride from St. Goar to Bacharach. Thoroughly enjoyed the castles. Recommend that one purchase a guide to the castles so the history, etc. becomes more evident. Neat view of vineyards.

Warrington, United...
reviews: 14
7. Re: Rhine river cruises

On most boats all but the lower deck have large sliding windows. The cabins on the lower deck have small windows just above the water level! There are no balconies as such but a table and chairs are provided in the cabin next to the window. Great way to pass the time. Obviously the higher the deck the better the views (hence the higher fares).

We have sailed most of the Rhine and Danube and can thoroughly reccomend it as a peaceful holiday.

Lincoln, Nebraska
reviews: 1
8. Re: Rhine river cruises

We are taking a river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. We arrive at BSL airport a day early (actually 10 p.m.) and spend the night on the French side of the river. We then are planning on taking a taxi to the ship the next morning. How do we handle customs?

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
9. Re: Rhine river cruises

I would sit in the back of the taxi, make sure that I don't have more than 1 liter spirit and 200 cigarettes per person in the luggage and wait whether they want to see my passport ( which will be hardly the case).

koblenz, switzerland
10. Re: Rhine river cruises

You simply pass, just make sure you don't have items subject to tax declaration, import, export or other restrictions.

No identification check is allowed at national borders within Schengen area - you can be stopped for customs inspection at the French-Swiss border, but also after crossing the border. Probability of being stopped for customs inspection is low to very low.

Reply to: Rhine river cruises
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted