We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Markets

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Christmas Markets

Does Basel have a Christmas Market? Is it a good place for a 2 night break? Any suggestions for a hotel? What is public transport like?

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 7
1. Re: Christmas Markets

Yes Basel has a great and big christmas market. As I remember it, it has about 5 rows of vendors then going back further near the church there is an entire circle full of food and more vendors. Say 100 or so in total, maybe more. I'd rather say less than you get disappointed, but it is wonderful.

It was really cold last time I went, back in Dec 2003. But just get some hot wine and enjoy yourself. The market takes place right at barfusserplatz.

Basel has a great cable car/tram system which works throughout the entire city. There is a website that you can check out all the ways to get from your hotel down into the main shopping area which is mostly car free.

As well, you can either walk or take tram to barfusser or marketplatz from the train station. There will be many bars near barfusserplatz and great to go check out.

Hotels are everywhere but sorry as I lived there, I never tried out any hotels to recommend.

Jen

2. Re: Christmas Markets

Thanks for the info.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
3. Re: Christmas Markets

For the Hotel, it depends what you are willing to spend. I aften recommend the "Radisson, whic is in the city center as well as close to the railway station, where the airport bus has it's final stop.

Basel has a big Christmas market and (as far as I know) the longest christmas light chain in Eurpe. Even the bridges are in full christmas decoration.

For Christmas shiopping I recommend Barf��sserplatz, Freie Strasse and market square, where the 80 feet christmas tree is located.

Basel has the only christmas decoration shop (Johann Wanner at the Spalenberg), which is opened the whole year through. Mr. Wanner is even delivering his decorations to HM the Queen. :-))

Basel, Switzerland
reviews: 151
4. Re: Christmas Markets

Check out the homepage of Basel Tourismus:

www.baseltourismus.ch

They have a comprehensive list of accommodations in and around Basel.

I would also recommend the Radisson SAS, the location is perfect. Also good and quiet downtown location in the pedestrians area has hotel Basel.

Omaha
5. Re: Christmas Markets

So, I'm wanting to go the Christmas Markets in Basel, where would you recommend a hotel, would be coming in on Eurorail and traveling the city by foot.... Thanks for all suggestions....

Basel / Switzerland
6. Re: Christmas Markets

@BigRedGirl

The radisson is perfect for you. 10 min. by foot from the railway station, 5 minutes from the Christmas market on the Barfüsserplatz. A 3 days free ticket for the tram and bus system is included in the hotel price.

For the Christmas Market look here ( in english):

basel.ch/en/events/up_to_date/christmas.html…

Minneapolis...
7. Re: Christmas Markets

When does the Christmas Market open? I am hoping to travel to Europe in Sept/Oct and would love to make Basel a stop on our journey! Also a year-round Christmas store was brought up (Johann Wanner at the Spalenberg?) and I am curious to know where this shop is in Basel and if they have a website. I love to shop for Christmas!! Thanks much!

Basel / Switzerland
8. Re: Christmas Markets

Hello Amateuer Traveller

Johann Wanner is the worlds biggest producer for Christmas decoration. His shop at Spalenberg is relatively small compared to his warehouses, but you can visit the famous decoration the whole year through. ( even the Bristish Queen is client of Wanner's). He also decorated the Rockefeller plaza some time ago.

His shop is situated right in the center of the town, 200 meters from market square, next to Hotel Basel. The address is:

Weihnachtshaus Johann Wanner

Spalenberg 14

4051 Basel

Telefon: +41 61 261 48 26

The christmas market does not start before end of November.

Minneapolis...
9. Re: Christmas Markets

Thank you Matzli!! You are a wealth of information! I am hopeful to stay in Basel at least two nights and then take a train to Interlacken for a couple nights as well. This is our first trip to Europe so I want to soak in as much culture, in as many different countries (Belgium, France & Switzerland), as possible! I am searching now for an inexpensive (around $100 USD) room that's nice, clean and in an ideal location. Does that exist?! :) Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks again for your help!

Kathy

Basel / Switzerland
10. Re: Christmas Markets

If you want to stay in the town center, not too expensive and special, try the Hotel / restaurant "Au violon", Lohnhof 4, Basel. In the historical center with its wonderful narrow lanes. Excellent restaurant too and only 3 min. from Barfüsserplatz, where you can find trams to all directions and 20 other restaurants. Don't miss to stroll around by foot and watch the region around the hotel Gemsberg, Spalenberg, as well as 10 min. away: Marktplatz, Augustinergasse, Pfalz, Münster (main cathedral) You'll love it.

Other recommendable hotels: Hotel Basel, Victoria, Radisson, but more expensive and not in the very center of the city.

If you want to soak different European mentalities, I would recommend day trips to Strasbourg or Colmar in France. (easy to reach by train in one hour from Basel. or the romantic German city of Freiburg im Breisgau (45 min.). If you are interested in history, the is a roman town called "Augusta raurica", more than 2'000 years old with amphitheatre, roman villa and a museum. (in the suburbs 10 km from Basel)

Get answers to your questions about Basel