We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation

Which Basel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, NC
transportation

I am arriving via air to Basel and then other means to Lucerne...Any good ideas how to travel from the airport to Lucerne?? We are Seniors..thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 104
1. Re: transportation

Take the bus to the train station and then take the train. You can check out the timetable on:

http://mct.sbb.ch/mct/en/reisemarkt/zuege.htm

Click on timetable and then enter the place you are starting from (ie Basel airport, or wherever)and the place you are going to.

Swiss trains almost always run on time and are nice. It's not cheap, but you get where you want to be!

I haven't taken your particular route, but the sbb website has always been right about very complex connections involving multiple train and bus combos. Basel to Lucerne looks pretty straightforward to me. Have fun.

Basel / Switzerland
reviews: 34
2. Re: transportation

Just take bus no. 50 from the airport to the railway station (SBB). There is a connection every 20 minutes.

avoid a taxi. Cost: CHF 40-50.

From the bus stop to the plattform you'll have to walk 200 meters through the station hall by using a moving stairway.(first up, and then down to your platform.)