We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

Hi All,

My wife and I will be doing a trip to Switzerland during the first 6 days in September. We have not yet decided if we are going to spend the first 2 in Geneva or Zurich, but we are looking to spend about 3-4 days in the Swiss country side.

I was hoping that someone had recommendations for a good home base during our 4 days in the country side. We are both active and are trying to find a great balance between soaking up local culture and hiking during the day. Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!!

6 replies to this topic
canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

Are you looking for a farm stay, or in a village with lots of potential in hiking?

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
2. Re: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

Do you want the kind of "countryside" which is farmland, bucolic so to speak, and flat-ish OR the countryside which is rugged and mountainous? And what language - French or German basically...

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

I am thinking Village with plenty of Hiking....Leaning towards the more mountainous village. Thanks for the responses

San Jose, CA
Destination Expert
for Wengen, Jungfrau Region
reviews: 28
4. Re: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

The Bernese Oberland is sublime, with the best weather of the year typically coming in the first two weeks of September. Wengen is our favorite base. Quintessential Swiss car-free village, jaw-dropping views, large enough to have a very good selection of restaurants and shops but not "touristy". There are enough hikes (ranging from easy scenic strolls to challenging) and outings to do from a Wengen base to easily keep you busy for a month, let alone a few days. Wengen is about equal distance from Geneva and Zurich, about 3.5 hour scenic train ride.

I have a 45+ page document on the area based on my 16 visits there. If you would like a copy send me a Private Message along with your email address. That's the only way I can get the document to you

Maryland
reviews: 17
5. Re: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

We have been to Switzerland 7 times now and are returning this summer. We always stay in Lauterbrunnen at the Hotel Staubbach. It is an easy train or cable car ride to all the villages around Lauterbrunnen. Lots of good restaurants, not quite as touristy as Wenger or Grindelwald. Lots of hikes. Easy train ride from Zurich. Be sure to go through Lucerne. This train takes an hour longer than going through Bern but the scenery makes for an incredible trip - lakes, mountains, small villages and a much easier transfer at the Lucerne train station.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
6. Re: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside

I can understand the lure of the Oberland - but suggest you might want to try something different! The Valais, for example, or the Graubunden, especially the Upper Engadine valley.

Reply to: 3-4 days in the Swiss Countryside
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted