We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia, Maryland
reviews: 8
Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

We are taking a family trip in July 2014. We are flying into Frankfurt (Main) and want to go to Lucerne, Interlaken and on to Paris. Can anyone recommend the best train to take as far as sightseeing, etc.? The only reason we are flying into Frankfurt is the possible countryside views as we travel to Lucerne. If the views are not sufficient, we have no problem flying into Zurich or another city. We want to spend one night in Lucerne and two nights in Interlaken. We then want to go to Paris and stay there for two nights as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated!.

canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

The train from Frankfurt to Switzerland involves long tunnel sections nowadays, replacing what were factories' backyards.

As per your agenda you will be taking the Golden Pass route from Lucerne to Montreux and exit Switzerland either from Lausanne or Geneva to Paris.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 56
2. Re: Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

hi there

If you are flying into Frankfurt, I would suggest you go to Interlaken first as there is a direct train. Then come to Lucerne taking the Golden Pass route and leave for Paris from Lucerne as it seems to be the suitable option compared to Geneva or Zurich.

http://www.sbb.ch/en

This website will help you decide your travel plans. It gives alternatives for travelling from A to B.

Cheers

Abhijit

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 224
3. Re: Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

Hi LMHill0104

For the above reasons I would warmly recommend to fly in at Zurich as the trip from Frankfort to Lucerne is very long and partly boring.

If I were you I would prefer to spend my three nights at one base only as this would give you a chance to explore one of the two great areas. For Lucerne see www.luzern.com and Top questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) and for the Bernese Oberland (better choose one of the mountain villages) look at www.myjungfrau.ch

Happy planning

pore

Columbia, Maryland
reviews: 8
4. Re: Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

Thanks so much for the information! We did change our minds and are flying into Zurich. We are also going to spend three nights in one spot and just travel to the places we want to go. I will check out the websites suggested and start planning!

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 224
5. Re: Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

Excellent decision

pore

6. Re: Family trip to Switzerland/Paris in July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 15, 2015