We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning 15 day trip - how to distribute the days

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
Planning 15 day trip - how to distribute the days

I will attend a conference in Basel in late August 2013 and then have 14 days before departing from Basel. My wife and I spent time in Geneva some years ago, so we won't include it in our itinerary. We will get a SwissPass and travel via trains. My draft itinerary is as follows:

- Basel to (with stop for short tour in Bern) Montreux (3 nights)

(Visit Chillion castle, talk walks, do Cholate Train excursion)

- Montreux to Interlakken via Golden Pass train (3 nights in Interlakken)

(Visit Lauterbrunnen Valley, Murren, Schitorn one day; walks; lake cruise to Thun)

- Interlaken to Zermatt (2 nights)

- Zermatt to Lugano or Locarno via Domodossola, IT, train route to see Centovallli (2 or 3 nights)

(walks, relax by lake, visit castles in Bellinzona)

- Zermatt to Lucern via William Tell train but not do the cruise section - (2 or 3 nights)

(visit old town, possible lake cruise with visit to Mt. Pilatus)

- Lucern to Basel (1 night before return flight)

(may travel via Zurich to do 1/2 day city tour)

In order to spend more time in fewer locations, we did not include St. Moritz or eastern Switzerland. We also decided to de-emphasize cities.

First, would appreciate any comments on this draft itinerary.

Second, I have specific questions:

-- Among Montreux, Interlaken, Lugano/Locarno, and Lucern, we can spend 3 nights in 3 locations and 2 nights in a fourth location. With our overall itinery, which location would be best for only 2 nights - current choice is spend only two nights in either Lugano or Lucern, but we could also drop a night in Montreux.

-- Choice of Interlakken versus Lauterbrunned Valley or Wengen for hotel lodging in Interlakken. We need to balance "home base"/convenience for day trips versus nice environment for evenings and relaxation.

-- Choice of Lugano versus Lorcarno or Ascona to stay in that part of trip.

Thanks.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 164
1. Re: Planning 15 day trip - how to distribute the days

Hi Dean B and welcome on the forum

Unfortunately it is not possible to give you tips how much time you would like to spend in one base. I always recommend to have at least three or even four nights per base. Even if you have four nights you will not be able to see all the great places which every of your areas would have to offer.

As an example, for Lucerne look at www.luzern.com and the Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) to see how much there is to do and to see there.

- I would choose one of the mountain villages over Interlaken in the Jungfrau area.

- Lugano or Locarno/Ascone: I like both areas but I prefer the Lugano area. Morcote is the place I like most in the Ticino.

pore

2. Re: Planning 15 day trip - how to distribute the days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 14, 2014