We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6nights in switzerland

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
6nights in switzerland

Hi,

i have 6N in switzerland, should i stay 3N in luzern and 3N in Grindelwald as I wan to visit Mt Titlis and Junfraujoch.

But i would like to go zermatt to see Matterhorn, should i make a day trip from grindelwald to zermatt or shd i stay 1N at zermatt.

Would it be very far to go zermatt from grindelwald?

Which is the best scenic train for the following:

1. Zurich to luzern

2. luzern to grindelwald

3. grindelwald to zermatt

4. zermatt to geneva

If i pass by bern on train, would I have time to drop by the old town?

Thanks for any advise :)

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Lucerne, Zug, Brunnen
reviews: 223
1. Re: 6nights in switzerland

Hi pinkylyn

But i would like to go zermatt to see Matterhorn, should i make a day trip from grindelwald to zermatt or shd i stay 1N at Zermatt

Lucerne - see www.luzern.com and Top Questions about Lucerne (TA Lucerne forum) and Grindelwald - see www.myjungfrau.ch - are good bases for the two mountains. Zermatt is not recommended from both places in my opinion as it is too far for a day excursion and you need good sights to see the Matterhorn.

Trains

1. There is one line which is pretty nice

2. Take the Bruenig railway (on www.sbb.ch/en input from Lucerne to Grindelwald via Bruenig-Hasliberg).

3. Grindelwald to Zermatt see www.sbb.ch/en

4. Zermatt to Geneva the same

If i pass by bern on train, would I have time to drop by the old town?

With the above routings you will not pass Berne.

pore

Singapore
2. Re: 6nights in switzerland

thks pore.. but if i need to go to geneva to catch a flight, will the train pass by bern?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
3. Re: 6nights in switzerland

No, it will not what you can find out on www.sbb.ch/en. Zermatt to Geneva goes via Visp - Montreux - Lausanne if you do not want to make a big detour.

If you have time you could for example visit the Chillon castle at Montreux.

The only way I see how you could touch Berne is on your way from Lucerne to the Jungfrau area but then you would definitively miss the scenic Bruenig railway.

pore

Singapore
4. Re: 6nights in switzerland

hi pore

shd i skip zermatt and take train from grindelwald to geneva, using the goldenpass line? that will pass by bern?

is it worth travelling all the way to zermatt to see Matterhorn but i only have a nite at zermatt before going to geneva to catch my plane the next day.

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
5. Re: 6nights in switzerland

No it will not! It goes to Interlaken - Zweisimmen - Montreux - Lausanne - Geneva.

Better look at a map - for example www.viamichelin.com or google map - to learn about geography. Also the SBB website will help you if you press the SHOW INTERMEDIATES STOPS button and you will see where it passes.

If you would enter from Grindelwald to Geneva the fastest route would appear and this one goes via Berne.

pore

Singapore
6. Re: 6nights in switzerland

thks pore

does it mean i wont be able to take any of the Panorama routes train?

i saw goldenpass line pass thru luzern and interlaken, could it make be better if i take from luzern to interlaken and change a train to grindelwald?

and is it a must for me to take from one end to the other end? or can i board the train half way.. eg goldenpass is from luzern to montreuz, is it ok if i alight at interlaken?

can i make reservation online or i must make reservation at the train station?

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
7. Re: 6nights in switzerland

does it mean i wont be able to take any of the Panorama routes train?

That is what it means if you want to travel via Berne.

i saw goldenpass line pass thru luzern and interlaken, could it make be better if i take from luzern to interlaken and change a train to grindelwald?

This is the Bruenig line I suggested in my first post. This one is really worth to go.

and is it a must for me to take from one end to the other end? or can i board the train half way.. eg goldenpass is from luzern to montreuz, is it ok if i alight at interlaken?

Goldenpass from Interlaken to Montreux via Gstaad is the original goldenpass line. This is very scenic.

As I told you before, just look at the timetables at www.sbb.ch/en

pore

Singapore
8. Re: 6nights in switzerland

thks pore :)

the sbb.ch/en a bit confusing for me :( when i try to search and see the train timing..

and i cant seem to book the goldenpass seats for more than 1 mth later?

Dubai, United Arab...
reviews: 10
9. Re: 6nights in switzerland

Here is a link to my exact plan last sept..

If it can help you..... check it out...

It was my initial plan to visit Zermatt too... but i cancelled in the last moment

Lucerne and Grindelwald has a lot to offer for the time you have...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188045-i336-k6236…

have a great journey.....

And yes if any suggestions required do ping me,,

Happy to help

Goldau, Switzerland
Destination Expert
10. Re: 6nights in switzerland

Hi pynkylin again

Yes, reservations for the Goldenpass Panoramic train can be done 1 month in advance only. Other trains on the same track do not require any reservations.

I do not understand what is difficult to understand on sbb.ch/en . For the goldenpass (Bruenig railway) from Lucerne to Grindelwald you input from Lucerne to Grindelwald via Bruenig-Hasliberg. By the way, reservations on this part of the Goldenpass do not make a lot of sence.

pore