We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Calais to Switzerland

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
British Columbia
reviews: 3
Travel from Calais to Switzerland

I would like to find a way to get from Calais to Switzerland. Thought maybe I could fly to somewhere and take a train, or vise verse. I would like to bypass Paris if possible. Where do the trains go from Calais. I really, really, really need help. Thanks! - Kelly

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
1. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

Hi, why Calais? And to where in Switzerland? It would help to know if you have a reason to be in Calais and, if not, from where you are traveling to Calais as well as what destination in Switzerland.

British Columbia
2. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

I'm flying from Canada to London Gatwick; from there to Dover and the Ferry across the channel because I want to see the White Cliffs of Dover from the water. It seems like Calais is the place to sail (?) I can't seem to get out of there, tho. I go "home" to Switzerland every year and would like to end my journey in Zurich or Basel of Bern, or wherever the train or plane will take me within the Swiss Border. I just wish I knew where the trains run from Calais to Germany or Eastern France because I could transfer from train to plane. Does this help? Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
3. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

Hi, yes, it does help! You can avoid Paris but it makes the trip much more tedious with changes of train, etc. There isn't much to be said for flying at all unless you return to Gatwick and that's an option.

The French rail site and the Swiss Rail site are where you can play with your options, maybe the German rail as well.

www.sncf.com (French)

www.sbb.ch/en (Swiss - will give you tiemtables from Calais)

www.deutschebahn.com

Sit with a map and try various destinations from Calais to find ones that don't require transiting Paris. I do think, however, that you are best off to simply go to Paris and get the TGV to Basel, Geneva or Zurich.

Hope this helps.

British Columbia
4. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

Thank you. You have been most helpful. I'll get onto that in the morning and will think of Kileysmom throughout my journey.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
5. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

You can take a train from Calais to Lille. Lille to Lyon (thus avoiding Paris) or Lille to basel...

Seems quite a lengthy process though. Why don't you simply go to Dover from Gatwick and take a Channel ferry over and back as a foot passenger, then go back to Gatwick and fly to Switzerland...

Southport, United...
6. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

Have a look on www.seat61.com under the travel to France pages as there he explains how to go onward from Calais by train. It appears to take hours!!!

I would also ask on the England forum the best way to see the White Cliffs as I'm sure I've seen recommendations there that don't involve taking the ferry. You could do that and then either fly to Switzerland or get the Eurostar from London or Ashford to Paris and then to Switzerland.

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
reviews: 126
7. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

I saw the white cliffs, beautifully, on Monday. From a plane at about 6000m up... so you could try that!!

8. Re: Travel from Calais to Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 22, 2014