We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Night train Zurich - Barcelona

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, California
Night train Zurich - Barcelona

My husband and I are considering travel via night train from Zurich to Barcelona Nov 9, 2011. We are US citizens. Do we need any special passes in addition to the train fare? Are Rail Dude or Euro Railways competent and safe companies to work with? Your counsel and advice will be deeply appreciated. .

France
reviews: 9
1. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

To travel on the train you need a ticket and to reserve a seat/bed.

It is better to book directly with the rail company rather than intermediaries (who need to make a profit) - use the site www.rail.ch to see the timetables and classes of accommodation and then to book the tickets. It really is easy.

Normally the further in advance you can book a ticket the cheaper it will be - but the cheapest tickets are non flexible so be sure of travel dates & times before signing up.

bern
2. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

I travelled with this train some years ago. I enjoyed the ride very much, the train was comfortble and people where very friendly.

What must be said, it's usually cheaper to take a plane. The advantage is that you save a night in a hotel, you that you arrive in the morning and of course the experience of travelling with a night train.

<Do we need any special passes in addition to the train fare?> There is usally a ticket for the ride and a reservation for the bed, but you usually buy both together. Beside that there are no addional fees.

The train is operated by www.renfe.com but I think their website is not very good. Alternatively you might try the Swiss website www.rail.ch but because of the low Euro it mgiht be a bit more expensive there.

I hope somebody can tell you about the reputation of the companies you listed.

bern
3. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

An there is a an other thing to keep in mind. This train is often very much late don't be surprised if you arrive more than an hour later than in the timetable mentioned!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
4. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

Oh, mube! Only the Swiss will consider one hour very much late! ; - ) We are accustomed here to such inefficeincies that we wouldn't be overly concerned about an hour.

Anyway, I would use the direct method as mentioned above or

www.ricksteves.com or

www.gemut.com

Both are American companies that are reliable and will give you accurate information. Their prices will be as good as you can get anywhere in the US.

Certainly do not use Rail Europe for timetables or much else. They have proven over and over to posters here that their information is inaccurate and incomplete. I don't know the other company.

While the plane is faster, the train, as said above, leaves and arrives in the city, saves a hotel overnight, and is a terrific experience! I love the night trains in Europe. I recommend you get a compartment sleeping two for the additional privacy as there will be a sink for washing, etc. in the compartmet.

Hope this helps.

Glendale, California
5. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

Thank you all so much. I am feeling much more secure about the adventure thanks to you and your unbiased advice. Thank you. I will post our experience as resources are available or when we get back. Your counsel is greatly appreciated.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
reviews: 6
6. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

I hope you have a great trip and we'll look forward to your trip report - please include tips you find we missed. No matter how hard we try, we forget things that have become somewhat second nature to us but would be very useful to someone else.

7. Re: Night train Zurich - Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 09, 2012