We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

Which Switzerland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bethlehem...
reviews: 41
Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

Hello, I'll be in Switzerland next month and will be traveling from Lausanne to Interlaken with 4 friends. We would like to ride the Golden Pass panoramic cars to Interlaken, but we were unsure of what kind of ticket we need (we will not be traveling around Switzerland enough to make a railpass economical).

Will a "regular" 2nd class ticket from Lausanne to Interlaken get us on the panoramic cars, or do we need a "special" Golden Pass ticket? If we need a special ticket, can we buy it in Lausanne or do we need to get it in Montreaux (where the Golden Pass appears to start)?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
1. Re: Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

Hi JerkyLlama,

To ride in the panoramic cars, you need a reservation in addition to your ticket. You can buy the reservation online at

www.goldenpass.ch

But you don't really need to do it this far ahead of time, especially in June. The one time I got reservations for this trip, I did it the night before, and that was in May. It was fine.

You can get the reservations at any train station in Switzerland.

Have fun!

s

Bethlehem...
reviews: 41
2. Re: Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

Hi, thanks for the reply. The website and my tour book (Rick Steves Switzerland) indicate that reservations are optional. Is this not the case? Thanks.

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
reviews: 26
3. Re: Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

Hi again,

There are many trains that go on that route every day; some of the trains have some cars that are designated as GP with big, panoramic windows. If you want to sit in a car with panoramic windows, yes, you need a reservation. However, if you choose to sit on a regular car with normal-sized windows, you do not need reservations.

I spent two weeks in an apartment in Chateau d'Oex, a town on the route. I took the trains almost every day, of course, and never made reservations.

Have fun!

s

Wimborne Minster...
Destination Expert
for Lugano
reviews: 2
4. Re: Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

You only have to make reservations if you wish to travel in the 1st class VIP seats at the front and rear of those trains between Montreux and Zweisimmen which have them. You can book other seats if you wish but this is not normally necessary unless you are travelling at a busy time and wish to ensure you can all sit together. If you visit the site given to you by swandav you will see which are the 'VIP' trains and how to make reservations. You will also see that not all carriages are bookable anyway. There are no panoramic cars between Zweisimmen and Interlaken.

'Regular' 2nd class tickets will cover any train on this route. There is no 'special' ticket.

5. Re: Lausanne to Interlaken: "special ticket" for Golden Pass?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, September 29, 2009