We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

Which Perugia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
reviews: 39
Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

Hi

I'm planning a holiday for somewhere in Perugia / Lake Trasimeno area and need advice as to which is the better airport into which to fly; followed by car hire for rest of visit.

I live near Manchester airport and want a direct non-stop flight to Italy. The two obvious options are flights from Manchester to Rome or Pisa. No better options are available if I fly from the other UK airports within an hour or two drive from Manchester. (I know one can fly from Stanstead direct to Perugia, but Stanstead is much too far from home)

Driving times from Rome or Pisa to Perugia area seem to be similar, using Googlemaps.

So, assuming flight costs and departure times are also similar for both airports, should I fly into Pisa or Rome?

Key factors that would be relevant to me are ease of car hire at those two airports, ease of driving out of airport and towards Perugia / Lake Trasimeno and ease of finding way back to into airport.

Any thoughts ? Thanks.

PS - to clarify - on this visit I would not also be visiting either Rome or Pisa; just straight to and from the holiday area

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

>>Key factors that would be relevant to me are ease of car hire at those two airports, ease of driving out of airport and towards Perugia / Lake Trasimeno and ease of finding way back to into airport.<<

I don't think there are any significant differences between Rome FCO and Pisa on any of these aspects. They both have a number of rental agencies, and both have easy connection to a motorway for ease of leaving and returning.

2. Re: Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

We have flown into Rome, Pisa and Perugia. You'll have no problems renting a car at any of the airports.

My preference would be Rome as it's a shorter drive to Perugia than from Pisa. I don't think it worth the hassle to travel to Stanstead just to arrive directly in Perugia.

In July we have also found Pisa to be very congested, especially at the baggage reclaim area, as it gets very busy in the summer.

Hope this helps

Waldshut-Tiengen...
3. Re: Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

Hi, indeed I would reccommend Fiumicino Airport. Just beware that in rush hours you might have delays on the G.R.A. (Grande Raccordo Anulare= the ring-road around Rome).

N.Ireland
reviews: 42
4. Re: Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

If you're flying at the weekend in peak time, i'd avoid Rome FCO. Last year we arrived on a Saturday in July and the waiting times for (prebooked) car hire were horrendous (3-4 hours). This year we're flying to Pisa. It's a much smaller airport and therefore takes less time to negotiate your way out of it. We've done both routes over the years and found little difference really: slightly quicker via Rome but less hassle via Pisa! Hope this is helpful.

5. Re: Rome or Pisa Airport - what's better, Perugia area holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, June 18, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Perugia