We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi to Florence

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
reviews: 1
Assisi to Florence

I am looking to take a direct train from Assisi to Florence.

Can you buy these train tickets in advance (I will be there mid-May)? I went to the website, http://www.trenitalia.com/, but when I put in the date I will be traveling, there are no price options.

1) Can I buy this train ticket in advance? if not, why? If not, what are my options? Buy the same day (or any earlier) than same day)? Is there a way to figure out the train schedule so I can plan my itinerary and know when i need to be at the train station that day?

Thanks so much!

10 replies to this topic
South Australia
reviews: 12
1. Re: Assisi to Florence

Regional train tickets you can only purchase seven days in advance, though reservations are not required.

www.trenitalia.com Click on the UK flag for current train times, enter 08 as train departure time.

Edited: 9:16 pm, February 15, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 17
2. Re: Assisi to Florence

You should REFRAIN from the temptation of purchasing an ELECTRONIC ticket for the UNRESERVED regionale trains in Italy. These tickets have significant restrictions not found with traditional PAPER tickets. Also, you can't buy them more than 7 days in advance. Instead, purchase a PAPER ticket for these trains once in Italy (at any train station which has an electronic ticket machine or a staffed sales window). PAPER tickets for the regionale trains are valid for two months after issuance, as long as not validated. You must validate the PAPER ticket just before boarding the train. You can look up the schedules of the regionale trains from Assisi to Florence. To see the fares, you must enter a travel date within the next 7 days. You could purchase the ticket on the day of train departure from the electronic machine at the Assisi train station, or the day beforehand if convenient, or even several days beforehand if you are in Rome or some other Italian city with a train station. Buy the ticket when most convenient, but if you wait until the day of departure, be sure to allow enough lead time to account for possible lines at the machine in Assisi. Once you have a ticket in hand, it takes less than one minute to navigate the small station in Assisi and board your train.

Most people buy a ticket for second class, even though some of the regionale trains between Assisi and Florence also have first class seats. The primary difference is that first class seats recline and are slightly wider, whereas second class seats do not recline and are consequently slightly less comfortable for a 2.5 hour trip. The fare difference is not insignificant in terms of percentage surcharge.

www.trenitalia.it

Edited: 10:47 pm, February 15, 2014
Florence, Italy
reviews: 279
3. Re: Assisi to Florence

Into www.trenitalia.com (click on UK flag)

you will find that the direct trains for Firenze (Florence) leave from Assisi station at

6:08, 9:25, 11:19, 13:17, 15:17, 17:21

These are "interregionale" (= local) trains (to which apply the GAC's recommendations), except the first; but I don't think you'll want to take the train at a schedule so uncomfortable.

Brun066

Florida
4. Re: Assisi to Florence

Thank you for your responses.

If you don't book ahead, what are the chances of a train being "sold out "and you cannot take the train at the time you wanted?

Are there any train tickets you should buy in advance? (express trains, those which require reservations)?

Any great resource to bring ahead of time/before in Italy with the train schedules so you know when to travel/arrive at the train station?

Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
5. Re: Assisi to Florence

Regionale trains have no seat reservations and cannot sell out. The faster Frecce and InterCity trains do have seat reservations, but it is unusual for them to sell out except perhaps during peak holiday period in August.

For the best prices on the fast trains, book direct with the operator as far ahead as possible. Trenitalia tickets go on sale 4 months before travel, and the cheapest tickets often sell out quickly. Discounted ticket prices keep going up as the travel date gets closer.

You can get train times and costs from www.trenitalia.com clicking on the UK flag to change to English and using the Italian names for towns, or from the competitor on major routes http://www.italotreno.it/EN

Los Angeles, CA
Destination Expert
for Sardinia
reviews: 17
6. Re: Assisi to Florence

On the UNRESERVED regionale trains (as between Assisi and Florence), when seats are no longer available, people stand on the train, although this is unusual in May on this route (and often does not last for the whole duration of the trip). There is no control on the number of tickets sold, as traditional paper tickets can be used on any regionale train on the route over a two month period.. By contrast, there is a capacity control on the number of tickets sold for the RESERVED trains (such as the Frecce and Intercity).

Florida
7. Re: Assisi to Florence

Thank you very much! Extremely helpful.

Florida
8. Re: Assisi to Florence

If I wanted to buy fast train tickets (with reservation) in advance while in the US with an American credit card - how do you do this? I have read you cannot buy tickets in advance on the trenitalia website.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
9. Re: Assisi to Florence

There was a problem with US credit cards on the Trenitalia web site, but that was overcome several years ago. You should be able to buy from www.trenitalia.com

Lakewwod,Ohio
reviews: 6
10. Re: Assisi to Florence

Our family is traveling from Rome to Florence on Wednesday April 23. We want to go to Assisi on the "way" to florence and will take the trains. Is there a place at Assisi to store our luggage while we tour Assisi

Reply to: Assisi to Florence
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted