We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
reviews: 45
Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

We have revised our trip to have 4 nights in Assisi before going on to Orvieto.. We have found a quaint B&B in the center of Assisi and a nice B&B in a residential area near the train station in Santa Maria degli Angeli. Our question is should we stay two nights in Assisi and two nights close to the train for exploring Speleto and Gubbio? Or 4 nights one place or other? Thank you for any advice.

Mary

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 13
1. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

The bus from Assisi to SMA FS runs about every 30 mins and is 15 minutes long plus the time it takes to walk to the bus stop which I believe is the Piazza Matteoti at the end of town. For those 2 days of day tripping, can you manage that?

If your plan for those 2 days out is to spend almost the entire day away, from morning to night, then I would consider splitting up the stay. If not, then I would just stay in Assisi for the 4 nights. I think you would enjoy staying there more.

CA
reviews: 51
2. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

I'm a big believer in parking myself at one place and then explore from there. You basically lose a half day every time you move even when they are close by due to check out / check in times.

Assisi is lovely -- we only spent part of a day there last September (we were day-tripping from our most wonderful B&B about an hour away). But we almost did get to spend more time there as we lost our way back to the car. We can laugh now, but at the time it was borderline frightful.

Have a wonderful time -- and travel light (it will make the trip more enjoyable and easy).

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 106
3. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

I would choose to base in one place and do day trips from there. We were based in Perugia for a week and from there visited Gubbio, Orvieto, Assisi and Cortona.

Assisi is lovely. We spent a very long day there arriving early and leaving late. There is a lot to see.

We did have a rental car however.

Seattle
reviews: 45
4. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

Thank you all for your input. aafflyer can you share what B&B you found an hour away? What town? emeralddiva did you like Gubbio? What was your favorite of towns you visited? We are getting very excited. Thanks again.

Victoria, Australia
reviews: 106
5. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

Gubbio was not my favourite place although I did enjoy the crazy funicular ride up to the Basilica Sant'Ubaldo!

My favourite was probably Assisi closely followed by Cortona.

Assisi has so much to offer, the churches of course but also climbing around the Rocco Maggiore and just wandering around town..

We were fortunate to arrive in Cortona on their saint's day so there was a very festive atmosphere. There was just something about Cortona, just loved wandering around exploring.

Unfortunately we arrived quite late in Orvieto (took the wrong road!), and had very little time. I would love to revisit at some time.

Finally we loved Perugia. It is a bustling uni town with a great historical centre.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 43
6. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

Hi Mary (Karl here, also in Seattle!).

When in Assisi, do see if you can make it to visit the Hermitage...Eremo dell Carceri:

sacred-destinations.com/italy/assisi-eremo-d…

I thought it was quite beautiful.

-Karl

So Cal
reviews: 1
7. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

We spent a week in Umbria this past October. We drove to several of the Umbrian towns, and Assisi was by far our favorite. Spello was lovely as well. But overall lots more to see, do, and eat in Assisi. (And you don't really need entire days in some of the smaller towns, in my opinion.) I didn't see when you would be going, but I could see how Assisi would be less charming during the very crowded (and hot) months of summer. However at the time we were there it was great. The day we explored the Rocca in Assisi we were practically the only people there! I'm sure you already know this, but they aren't exaggerating when they call them "hilltowns". Get yourself in shape before you go, every walk is truly a climb or a steep downhill trek!

CA
reviews: 51
8. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

We stayed at Siena House. My review is here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g608934-d172…

FYI, It is the #3 rated B&B in Tuscany here at Trip Advisor. It is a wonderful place.

9. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:35 am, December 01, 2012
Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
reviews: 22
10. Re: Assisi and Umbria 4 nights

I would prefer to stay in one place for four days rather than split the stay in two. In the center of Assisi would be my preferred location. The town can fill up with day trippers during the day, but it's very nice in the evening when they've all left.

I really like Gubbio a lot, more so than Cortona. However, these things are a matter of taste. Funny, one of the times I went to Gubbio with a visiting friend, I totally forgot where I had parked my car. We left the center of town on the wrong road, and then I became totally uncertain whether I had even parked on that side of town. I thought I was going to have to call my husband to come and get us. It's a frightening feeling!