We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

Which Assisi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 3
To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

Hi there,

could someone please advise whether one should travel from Rome or Florence to get to Assisi ?

We will be in both cities - Rome & Florence, but unsure as to which route is the easiest/most practical.

TIA

Montreal
1. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

You can check train times at www.trenitalia.com in any combination you like: Rome-Assisi-Rome, Florence-Assisi-Florence, Rome-Assisi-Florence, Florence-Assisi-Rome. There are also buses from Siena to Santa Maria degli Angeli below Assisi: Sena Bus.

Waldshut-Tiengen...
2. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

Hello Southies,

I lived in Umbria for 20 years, and I have always travelled by train both to Rome and Florence as connections are quite good.

From Florence to Assisi there are trains every 2 hours during the day for prices between €12/€19 one way (it takes about 2h30'). Many of them are direct, so you never have to change train, others require a change in Terontola.

From Rome to Assisi there are trains every 2 hours as well, but most of them are not direct, so you have to change in either Foligno or Terontola. The duration of the journey is about 2h20', tickets start from €9,40 (there isa also a fast train that gets there in 1h50' for €21 but I guess it doesn't make much sense).

Source: http://www.trenitalia.com/ (official railway website)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
reviews: 576
3. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

Either destinations would suit - to get to Assisi by train.

Sydney, Australia
4. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

zerlina : thank you, I did check out the t/tables but was unsure as to practicality of each route and whether I was interpreting the information correctly.

alighieri76: thank you for that info - that is what I saw too. I think we will take the train from florence as it seems to be the easiest solution.

ellemay : yes, it looks almost midway, but I want to avoid train changes so will go with Florence.

Thank you all once again for taking the time to reply - it is greatly appreciated by this novice.

Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 103
5. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

A quick tip - I found the scenery gorgeous last month sitting on the left hand side of the train, facing forward. All the hill-towns seemed to be on that side, and the view was brilliant. It really prepared me for how glorious Italian hill towns can be.

On the other side you do get a fairly decent view of the lake - Lake Trasimeno I think it was - but it shoots past pretty quickly.

Have fun! And if you have time, check out Trattoria Pallotta (my spelling might be off) for dinner. Best meal I had in Italy but you usually have to book a day or two in advance. It fills up fast!

Sydney, Australia
6. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

ooooo, thank you so much for the seating tip, Ali-May-99 - that's brilliant ! Will also add Trattoria Pallotta to my notes ! Wonderful !

COAL HARBOUR
7. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

hi going to do the same route. Were is Trattoria Pallotta?

8. Re: To Assisi from Rome or Florence ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, January 09, 2013