We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or Bus: Florence to Siena

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Phils
reviews: 38
Train or Bus: Florence to Siena

What is the more convenient mode of transportation from Florence to Siena, bus or train? Each of us has a 20" luggage + backpack + messenger bag. From either bus or train station, we plan to just take a taxi to our B & B (outside the city walls, but still walking distance from historic center)

3 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
1. Re: Train or Bus: Florence to Siena

Probably the bus, as luggage is loaded under the passenger space of the bus, while you have to carry it up some steps to get into the train.

If your B&B is outside the walls, it will be a considerable walk uphill to get to the centre of Siena.

Edited: 3:37 am, April 18, 2014
Alexandria, Virginia
reviews: 8
2. Re: Train or Bus: Florence to Siena

In 2012 we went from Florence to Siena via the bus. It was a very easy trip to make and there was lots of room on the bus. We bought our tickets less than 1 hour before departure from within the bus station. For what it is worth, we felt very safe while at the bus station and during the actual trip.

Brussels, Belgium
reviews: 3
3. Re: Train or Bus: Florence to Siena

My vote also goes to the bus. I believe it is faster than the train but in any case, the train stops some way outside the city and at the bottom of the hill, whereas the bus brings you right to the city wall (Piazza Gramsci).

But as you say your b&b is OUTSIDE the city walls, I suggest you check whether this happens to be on the same side as the station, before deciding!

Reply to: Train or Bus: Florence to Siena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted