We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Siena in February

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sheffield, United...
reviews: 37
Siena in February

We are hoping to visit Siena the last week in February. We live in Sheffield

I've been disappointed to find that there are no flights to Pisa from Northern airports at that time of year, so the options are either to fly to Rome, or to travel to a London airport to fly to Pisa.

From the research I've done so far, the best option seems Leeds Bradford to Rome Fiumcino with Jet2.com, then train to the Rome Tiburtine, then a bus to Siena.

Has anyone else done this? Or can they recommend an alternative? What is Siena like in February?

Jo

Concord, North...
reviews: 43
1. Re: Siena in February

Yes, have taken the train from the airport to Rome Station (45 mins), then bus to Siena (3 hours). Bus drops you off at city center, so walking distance to hotels. I did this after a 10 hour plane ride, so pretty long day of travel, and to be honest, the bus is not very comfortable. Another option is the train from Rome to Florence (1 hour), then the bus to Siena. Can't recommend one over the other, as I've only done the bus from Rome to Siena, and that was fine (and very punctual).

Tuscany, Italy
reviews: 105
2. Re: Siena in February

You may consider to flight from London Gatwick to Florence, operated by Vueling, and then bus to Siena (one hour).

Siena in February is good, since there are not many tourist around.

uk
reviews: 6
3. Re: Siena in February

It might be more simple to fly from Gatwick to Pisa, then take the train to Siena.

I've never actually stayed in Siena in February, but I have visited - it was lovely. I much prefer Siena in the winter to the summer.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 2
4. Re: Siena in February

Love Siena in February though you must be prepared for anything nature can throw at you. I guess I go into town once a week most weeks in winter and the weather can be anything from mild, sunny and bright to bitterly cold and bright to bitterly cold, damp and horribly foggy to even snow. In fact, I got badly caught out last February driving into Siena on a day when snow wasn't forecast this far south yet by the time I reached the southern suburbs it was blizzard conditions and an absolute nightmare on the roads. It is a pain to get to though on public transport from Rome and you must please take into account what I've written above about possible weather conditions as this will impact transport. However, when you are there you'll have all the sights including Il Campo virtually to yourselves and everywhere, of course, is open.

5. Re: Siena in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, November 01, 2014