We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 13
Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

I maybe asking for the impossible here but I think I still need to ask.

We are arriving around noon in Siena from Pisa on Sunday, Oct 27. Don't know yet if by train or by bus. (Which one do you think is recommendable?)

Since from what we have read, Siena is small and most of the attractions are compact and close to each other, we thought of looking into these places. We need your advise if we could go around and see the following even just in the outside of the buildings, etc. Do you think these will fit in an afternoon stroll?

Cathedral of Siena

Santa Maria della Scala Church

Piazza del Campo

Piazza del Duomo

Palazzao Publico

San Leonardo at Lago Church

Logge del Papa (Pope Pius II)

Casa di Santa Catarina

Palazzo del Magnifico

Battistero de San Giovanni

Torre Del Mangia

Baptistry

Civic Musuem

We are just trying overnight at Siena. Thank you.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
1. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

There is only one bus a day from Pisa to Siena so train is your best bet and will involve a change at Empoli. You have doubled up on a couple of those places, the Civic Museum is in the Palazzo Pubblico. The Baptistry and Battiistero are the same thing. Santa Maria della Scala is the old hospital. It does have a church within it and it is located in the Piazza del Duomo. The church of San Leonardo al lago is not in Siena. So aside from those things, yes you could see the outside of them or visit a few of them in an afternoon.

Los Angeles
2. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

peggypatch: With the double-up on places in my listing, that would mean, surely, my wife and I can stroll through these places in one afternoon ha? Thank you for your keen eye and advise.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
reviews: 51
3. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

You can stroll past them in an afternoon, sure, but I don't think you would have time to go in them all in an afternoon.

Los Angeles
4. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

peggypatch: Yes, understood

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 48
5. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

IMHO the most important thing to do in Siena is visit the Cathedral and that means at least an hour for the interior -- it is simply a marvel -- walking past a bunch of other churches and squares, not in the same class.

If I had one afternoon, I would make the Cathedral the first stop, have a drink on the Campo and climb the Torre Mangia -- you can rush past all of those things on your list, but why?

Los Angeles
6. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

Janettravels44: Thank you indeed for the "insider" info. We would certainly do the Cathedral of course.

Ontario
7. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

Based on the above places which I listed on my first inquiry, can anyone please give me an advice as to the sequence of the sites which we should visit? I am asking this question so that we would be able to see as many as we can in one afternoon.

Thank you fellow trip advisors.

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
8. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

I think it depends upon the weather. If it's rainy, concentrate more on indoor sights but if it's fine walk further. Personally, I wouldn't miss the Palazzo Pubblico, climbing the tower if you feel fit enough. I would have to have a lazy hour spent with a drink at a bar in Il Campo just admiring the awesome architecture, soaking up the atmosphere and people watching. If it's still being offered (I think it might be the very last day) I would not miss the Porta dal Cielo tour at the cathedral. I am sometimes in the cathedral every week, often almost alone, but nothing prepared me for this. http://www.operaduomo.siena.it/eng/index.htm

Los Angeles
9. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

#27: Thank you for the input. A couple of the TA advisers have suggested a drink in Campo. I think my wife and I will just do that.

Ontario
10. Re: Afternoon Stroll at Siena Sunday, Oct 27

Lastraniera: Wonderful! Will certainly see all these places . Thank you so much for your inputs.