We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palio Parking

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 2
Palio Parking

I've read every internet postings about this, & still feel like I need advice! We check out of our Florence rental at 10 the day of the Palio to go pick up our rental car, & were planning on driving the scenic route thru Chianti (stop for lunch) & checking into our next rental (near San Piero on SR 111). We want to drop our bags & head to Siena to catch the 3:00 benediction/3:30 parade. I am worried we don't have enough time to do this now, & am really concerned about where to park at this time of day on the day of the Palio - given lots may be full, may have to drive around looking for more parking, finding our way on the streets, etc. Advice PLEASE!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
1. Re: Palio Parking

By early morning on the day of the Palio, all the parking stations and lots will be full. By lunchtime, you will be lucky to find a legal parking spot within a mile or two of the city.

Montepulciano, Italy
2. Re: Palio Parking

Absolutely. I know of people who have just pitched up early afternoon and found somewhere but they're Tuscans and they know all the short cuts / sneaky spots plus they're prepared to take risks when it comes to parking. For the rest of us, unless you arrive before 9 on the day, it's going to be as Nick states above. Personally, I think you're trying to squeeze too much in on the same day. As always when vacationing in Tuscany, something has to give so if you really want to be a part of the Palio, get into the city as early as you physically can.

Boston...
3. Re: Palio Parking

The problem is we can't check in to our new place too much earlier. Will there be traffic on the roads going from Florence into Siena that morning? We can leave later and not stop for lunch. Was going to take the scenic route thru Chianti since Google maps says it doesn't really take longer than the highways, can that be true (where we're staying is between the 2 highways just east of Siena on SP111)?. Do the exits off the highway get backed up into Siena that day? I read somewhere that there are signs that indicate when lots are full, but circling the city looking for the next lot/garage seems like a nightmare. Someone suggested the train station lot may be the best bet. Is it really far uphill to walk from there to the Duomo?

Little Canfield...
reviews: 201
4. Re: Palio Parking

A series of 8escalators take you from the station to near the Camolia gate into Siena and it is around a twenty minute flat walk from the top of the escalators.

Edited: 9:56 am, June 19, 2013
Montepulciano, Italy
5. Re: Palio Parking

Which Palio are you planning on seeing, 2nd July or 15th August? I've always thought there was less traffic on the first one than on the second, which is a major public holiday in Italy (Ferragosto) and manic everywhere. (We often never go out that day for that reason.) Google maps have got it wrong if they say taking the Chiantigiana doesn't take much longer than the Auto Palio (Tangenziale). We usually do the Certosa roundabout in Florence to Siena Sud in around 40 mins on the main road but it's at least twice that going via Greve / Panzano / Castellina on the SS 222. Can't help re exits being backed up as we've only ever gone into Siena super early on Palio day but, as mentioned before, the major parking lots (and I would have thought that would certainly include the station) will be full by mid-morning so, yes, the reality will be circling the city looking for somewhere.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 12
6. Re: Palio Parking

For car travel times in Europe, www.viamichelin.com is usually more accurate than Google Maps.

7. Re: Palio Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 21, 2014