We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montalcino Wines

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 4
montalcino Wines

I am interested in buying some nice wines during my trip to Italy in March.

How would I travel by bus to a place to buy some Montalcino di Brunella ? What would I expect to pay for it?

Also how about Barolas , Barbaresca's, Dolcetta's?

Thank you

NYC
1. Re: montalcino Wines

Hi Ladies

Brunello di Montalcino is so good! I'm not sure how much $ you will save in Italy right now, due to the strength of the Euro, but Montalcino is a nice small city to visit, and you can't beat tasting the wine right from the source! Bottles are usually in the $50-$75 range in the states (a few cheaper, some more expensive) perhaps you'll save a few dollars (minus shipping charges that we pay here?) there. Producers to look out for are Altesino, Antinori, Lisini, Banfi, Uccelliera, Fuligni, Argiano, Barbi, Caparzo, Biondi-Santi. Brunello also has a baby brother...Rosso di Montalcino, that's very good...younger & more affordable ($18-$30). Montalcino is about 30-45 minutes south of Siena (we rented a house nearby, so I'm not sure about train timetables). Barolos, Barbarescos & Dolcettos are from northwest Italy (Piemonte)...dolcettos being the most affordable. Not sure where you are staying, but many cities have wine bars, which sometimes double as wine shops...so you can try the wine, and then buy it (my favorite way!). Hope this helps a little...have a great trip.

NYC
2. Re: montalcino Wines

Hi again

I just saw that you're going to be in Rome, so here are 3 places you can sip & buy:

- L'Angolo Divino...near Piazza Farnese/Campo de' Fiori...on Via d. Balestrari 12

- Il Goccetto...near Piazza Farnese...on Via d. Banchi Vecchi 14 (pretty area)

- Trimani...more of a restaurant, featuring wines from their shop around the corner (excellent lunch place)..bit of a hike to get there (taxi??..Via Cernaia near Via Goito, not too far from Nat. Museum of Rome). Their wine shop is excellent.

There is also a great wine shop on Via Ripetta...not too far from Piazza del Popolo...Buccone (I think that's the name?).

St. Marys, OH
reviews: 17
3. Re: montalcino Wines

Most of the Tuscan towns have wine shops or even co-ops where they feature the wines from the area. Montepulciano is a good place to buy wine as are many towns. You can visit the wineries also and taste and buy direct. Brunello di Montalcino is truly wonderful. I like virtually all Italian reds and as we travel around the country we buy a few bottles. By the time we're ready to go home, we usually have 12-16 bottles in our luggage. (YES IT'S HEAVY!) But after we're home, maybe 6 months to a year, it's soooooooooooooooo great to pull a cork on a bottle we brought back with us. Some hotels can fix you up with a visit to a winery or two close to them. Enjoy!

4. Re: montalcino Wines

Isn't there a limit? We'd love to buy 12 -16 bottles.THanks