We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
McMurray...
Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

I am looking for some information on staying in a rural farmhouse in the country and still within walking distance to the town of Siena. I have looked at Agriturismo Marciano on TA, it was rated #2 in specialty lodging in Siena. It looks great reviews great, but I am also looking at Hotel Santa Caterina ( just outside the Siena walls) and II Canto del Sole B&B. Can anyone help me? We are 2 couples and want the "Tuscan" charm of the countryside, but would like to be able to walk into town (Siena) Thanks for any information you can give me. The group we are traveling with is counting on me....

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
1. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

Jan....you are looking for something that is really hard to find. A farm within walking distance of a BIG Hill Town. Agriturismo Marciano is lovely, but it is a 45 minute walk into Siena and obviously is uphill one way. Will you have a car? It really is the only way to explore rural Tuscany....

Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 2
2. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

poderelevigne.it/nuovo/pages_eng/podere.html

But it's not that difficult. Every week when I drive into Siena I see the sign to this place as I drive up Strada dei Tufi. If you're fit, it can only be 20 mins walk (up a gentle hill) to Il Duomo and, truly, as it says on the website, it really is surrounded by lovely countryside for the hills, vines and olive groves come right up to the city walls here. If you're not so fit, there's the little minibus that plies this street from the park & ride car park at the bottom. There is also another nice looking place right on Strada dei Tufi itself but I cannot find any reference to it and don't know the name. It must be popular though for the car park is always busy, it was packed even over Christmas. I'll hunt around and see if I can find the name.

Montepulciano, Italy
3. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

www.fontedeitufi.com

Here's the other one. Must stress, have never stayed at either am simply highlighting two places in lovely countryside but within a short work of the city walls.

McMurray...
4. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

Thank you so much for your very honest answers to my questions. We do have a car and are wanting to view many sites by driving, but also wanted to have the option to be able to walk into town as well. These places seem like both good options.

Montepulciano, Italy
5. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

The two I mention are very well placed for touring as they're only about 5 mins drive from the Via Cassia, a road that will take you down to Montalcino, San Quirico, etc and the Val d'Orcia. They are a similar driving distance to the Siena Sud exit on the SI / FI expressway that will take you north to Monteriggioni, various exits into the Chianti (Acqua Calda, for example where you can join the Chiantigiana thereby avoiding the worst of the north Siena suburbs), Poggibonsi (for San Gimignano), etc. And both naturally have plenty of parking.

London, United...
6. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

An alternative could be the Tuscan villa Centopino: agriturismocentopino.it/en/tuscany-villa-cen… a organic farm with pool and jacuzzi (45 minutes from siena).

Edited: 11:10 am, February 22, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 52
7. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

Iola...the OP is looking for something that is walking distance to Siena...not 50 kms away.

London, United...
8. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

agriturismo marciano is located 50 minutes walk, this farm is located 50 minutes by car (the time is the same) and then lands around Siena are just as beautiful, the whole area of Chianti, Radicondoli, San Gimignano etc. ..

Mine was just a suggestion.

Edited: 5:40 pm, February 22, 2013
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 53
9. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

Just be careful re the walking. Maybe "walk" the route via Googlemaps first, as many of these roads have no footpaths and can be dangerous to walk, especially at night when they are not lit, or lit infrequently. That is one of the reasons we always try to stay in the township proper.

as an example

http://goo.gl/maps/0wgmd

Milan, Italy
10. Re: Staying in an Agriturismo walking distance to Siena

Hi,

i work for Agriturismo.it, the guide to farm holidays in Italy.

datthecoast and lastraniera are right, it's a bit difficult to find an agriturismo in a short walking distance to the city center.

But here you can find 2 or 3 options that might work for you (please note that you can use the map to localize the agriturismos easily): www.agriturismo.it/en/farmhouse/tuscany/siena

For example Marciano, Podere la Strega and Borgo Villa Risi are all within 1 hour walking to piazza del Duomo (according to Google maps).

Hope this helps :)