We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

Which Siena hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 9
Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

My husband and I will be attending the Palio contrada dinner with the Valdimontone contrada. I read online that their banner colors are red/yellow with white. Would it be approprate to wear these colors as a tourist in support of them at the dinner? Also, is it possible to purchase a scarf with their emblem on it? Thank you, Diane

17 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
reviews: 1
1. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

Absolutely for local people would appreciate you making the effort hugely. All the major gift stores / even some market stalls in the city sell contrada scarves, just mention the contrada name and they'll find it for you. Very nice idea.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
reviews: 11
2. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

This was the contrada dinner for L'Aqulia in 2006. Note that people are wearing contrada scarves. www.nickbooth.id.au/Images/Palio_dinner.jpg

San Diego...
reviews: 5
3. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

Plan on a late night (2:00 AM) and sleeping in the next morning. At the contrada dinner we went to two years ago, they seated all non-contrada visitors including Italians at well located tables together. All of the local children were seated together and at the end of the night, that area showed that they had a good time. There is a lot of music, speeches, food and wine. I hope you had a good time, we all did.

Siena, Italy
reviews: 30
4. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

the official colors of the Contrada of Valdimontone are yellow, red with white stripe, but I suggest you wear a garment of pink, as the jockey of the Contrada always runs with the pink jacket and also the colors of the handkerchiefs of the Contrada are pink.

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 9
5. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I have a sundress that is pink and red - perfect :) and I plan on finding one of the Valdimontone Contrada scarves!

Siena, Italy
reviews: 30
6. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

@diane you have brought good luck to VALDIMONTONE won the Palio after more than twenty years!

The next year call have you in my "Contrada" "TORRE"

gianni

Chandler, Arizona
7. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

I would like to know if I can become an honorary member of the Contrada della Torre. I have chosen this Contrada as my favorite and have a flag of the Contrada hanging in my house. I am interested in purchasing if I could a scarf or anything else having to do with my Contrada. I love these people, their traditions and passion for life and the Palio. I plan to attend the Palio one year in the near future.

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
8. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

That sounds amazing! I hope you will post some photos to share!

If you end up buying contrada related souvenirs like the scarf, I would love to add your pic to my post (I posted the Siena contrada souvenir post from my blog in this forum today)

In researching the contradas, I read all sorts of rules about dressing for non-members online but didn't feel comfortable writing about them as I have no first hand experience. They were all over the place by the way-- one person said they would be furious if someone wore a kerchief, others didn't mind...but that's the internet, you'll find everything there. I think the advice here is much more trustworthy!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Lucca
reviews: 12
9. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

Siena seems to be a little more relaxed about selling contrada related items to tourists. I tried to buy a contrada/rione related scarf in another city and was absolutely refused. People had to have their membership card in order to buy items or participate in events.

TAB

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
10. Re: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.

TABarret-- I find the whole contrada thing fascinating, thanks for sharing you story. I had no idea contradas were actually stricter outside of Siena or that membership cards were involved! Really interesting. Are the other contrada areas other towns in Tuscany or elsewhere in Italy?

Reply to: Contrada banquet clothing etiquette.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted